|Timeline for 1940|
1934 • 1935 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1942 • 1943 • 1944 • 1945 • 1946
In May, 1940, the Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble, near the Dover cliffs in the UK, worked to prevent a Nemonite invasion from derailing a Second World War counterattack called Operation Dynamo. (AUDIO: The Nemonite Invasion)
From 27 May to 4 June, British Army soldiers were evacuated from Dunkirk. This event was noted by the Matrix as a significant part of the Web of Time. (AUDIO: Neverland) The Seventh Doctor convinced Adolf Hitler to allow the evacuation to proceed. (PROSE: Timewyrm: Exodus) The First Doctor was present at the evacuation itself, (PROSE: Just War, PROSE: Byzantium!) as were the Eighth Doctor and Molly O'Sullivan on 29 May. (AUDIO: Fugitives)
On 12 October, at 8:47 p.m., the New Regency Theatre, which had been owned and operated by the late Henry Gordon Jago during the 1890s, was destroyed in the Blitz, as was the hotel next to it. (AUDIO: Swan Song)
In December, the Seventh Doctor visited Guernsey. (PROSE: Just War) A Berserker pendant was lost in an air raid on Park Vale Barracks, on the future site of Park Vale Comprehensive School. (TV: The Mark of the Berserker)
Alternative timeline Edit
In an alternative timeline in which Nazi Germany won World War II, King Edward VIII was restored to the British throne with Wallis Simpson as his Queen. He signed a treaty which established Great Britain as a protectorate of the Greater German Reich. The Prime Minister Winston Churchill was executed as a war criminal. He was succeeded by the prominent Nazi sympathiser Sir Oswald Mosley. (PROSE: Timewyrm: Exodus)
Behind the scenes Edit
- 11 - Actor R.J. Bell was born.
- 16 - Actor Tony Holland was born.
- 19 - Actor Mike Reid was born in Hackney, London.
- 28 - Actor Tony Holland was born.
- 20 - Actress Judy Cornwell was born.
- 20 - Visual effects designer Ian Scoones was born.
- 27 - Actor Bill Hunter was born.
- 2 - Actor Sean Barry-Weske was born.
- 15 - Actor Sean Caffrey was born.
- 26 - Actor Harry Fielder was born.
- 9 - Director John Black was born.
- 18 - Actor Ray Lonnen was born.
- 28 - Director Frank Cox was born.
- 31 - Actor Peter Mayock was born.
- 4 - Actor David Collings was born.
- 7 - Actor Ronald Pickup was born in Chester, England.
- 8 - Actress Carole Ann Ford was born.
- 21 - Actor David Calderisi was born.
- 7 - Drummer Ringo Starr was born in Liverpool.
- 17 - Actor Tim Brooke-Taylor was born.
- 28 - Actress Brigit Forsyth was born.
- 31 - Actress Louise Pajo was born.
- 9 - Actor Bernard Holley was born.
- 18 - Actor Barry Justice was born in Lucknow, India.
- 25 - Actor John J. Carney was born.
- 3 - Actress Pauline Collins was born in Exmouth, Devon, England.
- 10 - Cover artist David Mann was born.
- 9 - Musician John Lennon was born in Liverpool.
- 12 - Actor Gawn Grainger was born.
- 29 - Actress Angela Douglas was born.
- 1 - Actress Yvonne Antrobus was born.
- 13 - Writer Wally K Daly was born.
- 17 - Actor William Simons was born.
- 24 - Actor Alan Lake was born.
- 11 - Actor Tony Adams was born.
- 15 - Director Pennant Roberts was born.
- 27 - Director Paul Joyce was born.