On that day, River Song, in a space suit emerged from the lake and supposedly killed the 1103-year-old Eleventh Doctor, before he was able to regenerate. In reality, the Doctor was in a Tesselecta during the murder, and remained unharmed during the whole process. (TV: The Impossible Astronaut, The Wedding of River Song)
The Eleventh Doctor, at age 1103, recruited via numbered envelopes a 909 year old version of himself (1), an older River Song (2), Amy Pond and Rory Williams (3), and Canton Delaware (4). All arrived in Utah and, except the younger Doctor, met up with the older Doctor. After his supposed death, they cremated his body on a boat and let it float away.
An alternate timeline was created when River instead exhausted the weaponry of the astronaut suit, and didn't "kill" the Doctor. Immediately, a new reality came into being where all of history happened at once, and the time remained 5:02 PM on 22 April, 2011 forever. In this reality, the Eleventh Doctor and River Song got married. The timeline was reverted when the Doctor and River, the opposite poles of the disruption, kissed, the proximity shorting out the differential, and letting time continue its course. (TV: The Wedding of River Song)
Behind the scenes Edit
This was one of only three instances where a new series Doctor Who television story, namely TV: The Impossible Astronaut, took place on the same day as its broadcast: 22 April 2011. While the episode was actually aired on 23 April British time, this can be explained by the time difference between Utah and the UK, meaning that the Doctor was actually "killed" at 12:02 AM British time, the same day as the broadcast. The other two occurrences were: TV: The Big Bang (26 June 2010) and part one of The End of Time (25 December 2009).
- 1923 - Actor Hugh Lloyd was born.
- 1939 - Actor Mark Jones was born.
- 1942 - Actor Denis Lill was born.
- 1967 - Episode three of The Faceless Ones was first broadcast on BBC1.
- 1972 - Episode three of The Mutants was first broadcast on BBC1.
- 1982 - Actor Harold Goldblatt died.
- 1984 - Actress Michelle Ryan was born.
- 2006 - Tooth and Claw was first broadcast on BBC One. Later, CON: Fear Factor aired on BBC Three.
- 2008 - Big Finish audio story The Destroyer of Delights finished recording.