A Device of Death was the thirty-first novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Christopher Bulis and featured the Fourth Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith and Harry Sullivan. This novel is set rather uniquely between Genesis of the Daleks and Revenge of the Cybermen; it takes place during their time ring travels just after Genesis of the Daleks. Since the Doctor remains separated from his TARDIS from the beginning of former serial to the end of the latter serial, this story sees him borrowing another one temporarily.
Publisher's summary Edit
- "As a member of an inferior race, you either work to serve the cause of Averon, or die."
Sarah is marooned on a slave world where the only escape is death. Harry is caught in the middle of an interplanetary invasion, and has to combine medicine with a desperate mission. And the Fourth Doctor lands on a world so secret it does not even have a name.
to be added
- Fourth Doctor
- Sarah Jane Smith
- Harry Sullivan
- Elyze Brant
- Martyn Daw
- Baal Garikth-tal
- Barris Kambril
- Oliver Malf
- Angelyn Marcavos
- Neels Prander
- Cara Tarron
- Mattew Tarron
- Brin Vender
- Mogul of Tralsammavar
The Doctor Edit
- The Time Lords give the Doctor another TARDIS, one with a functioning chameleon circuit, but he gives it back.
- The new TARDIS' chameleon circuit changes from a Golden Ship into a Police box as its symbiotic link with the Doctor is erratic.
- The Doctor mentions adventures with the Daleks, the Aztecs, Atlanteans, the London Underground, the Peladon and the Minoan labyrinth of Crete.
- The Time Lords give the Doctor a second Time Ring, and this takes the Doctor, Harry and Sarah Jane to Nerva Beacon.
Time travel Edit
- After departing from Skaro, the Doctor, Sarah and Harry are scattered across the Adelphine Cluster due to temporal disruption interfering with the Time Ring.
- According to the Time Lords, due to the Doctor's actions, a force of robots will arise that will contribute to the fall of the Daleks. It is implied that these robots are the Movellans.
- Sarah recalls Professor J.P. Kettlewell's K1 robot when she interacts with Max. (TV: Robot)
- When recovering her memories, Sarah mentions UNIT and Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. (TV: The Time Warrior)
- Harry compares the ship's medicines to those on the space station Nerva. (TV: The Ark in Space)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: A Device of Death at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: A Device of Death