A Fairytale Life was the first Eleventh Doctor limited series released by IDW Publishing, and the first "standalone" story since Black Death White Life, a Tenth Doctor one-shot. It was further notable for featuring Eisner Award-nominated writer Matt Sturges' first work in the Doctor Who universe. According to the author, it was "completely out of continuity" with the main IDW run of Eleventh Doctor stories.
Publisher's summary Edit
What's better: an ugly reality or beautiful fantasy? This is the question the Doctor is forced to confront in a medieval fantasy world where Amy finds herself reluctantly cast as a damsel in distress.
- Eleventh Doctor
- Amy Pond
- Sir Callum
- Master Osric
- The Doctor was trying to visit Caligaris Epsilon Six in 7704 but ended up there in the mid-79th century instead.
- Aethelred mentions the Sycorax, the Drahvins and the Sontarans.
- According to Sturges, there was a bit of a disagreement between him and the BBC over how the Doctor was depicted checking his watch. A note he received was that the Doctor doesn't look at his watch by checking the back of his wrist. When Sturges pointed to an exact time code in The Big Bang of Matt Smith checking his watch in precisely that manner, the BBC's protests fell silent.
- The Doctor maintains his habit of claiming things are cool (TV: The Eleventh Hour, The Impossible Astronaut, et al.). This time, he says that lances are cool.
- The Doctor says he likes little shops. (TV: Smith and Jones, Silence in the Library, et al.)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30669 Renaud, Jeffrey. "Sturges Enchants 'Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life". 4 February 2011.