A Switch in Time! was the Doctor Who back-up strip which appeared in the pages of The Incredible Hulk Presents #6. Like all in the series, it was monochromatic and featured the Seventh Doctor travelling alone at the beginning and ending of the story.
Unusually, most of the events of the story take place in what is a scripted drama on television. Almost everything named in the story doesn't actually exist in the DWU, except as fiction.
The Seventh Doctor materialises inside of a television programme on a world populated by non-humanoids. The only problem is that no one has given him a script, so he keeps blowing his cues. He escapes before he gets into any real trouble for it. Still, at least two members of the Holo TV viewing audience appreciate his "performance" and are glad they remembered to tape the broadcast.
- In "real life":
- Seventh Doctor, known within the television programme as "the Professor"
- two audience members watching the television programme
- In the television programme:
to be added
- The story was reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics Issue 25
- We never find out the name of the planet on which the real life events occur. That is, we don't know where or to whom Holo TV broadcasts. What planets and species are named likely don't exist in the DWU, because they occur within a fictional, televised narrative.
- The story is roughly analogous to "The Feast of Steven", except that the First Doctor eventually figures out that he's on a movie set in that adventure. Here, the Seventh Doctor never understands that he's been on television.
- As with several stories in the comic run, the narrative begins with the Seventh Doctor in the TARDIS console room, tending to a malfunction.
- Like Remembrance of the Daleks, this story features a continuity announcement which appears to be advertising a new series of Doctor Who, but it's cut off before the whole name of the series can be completed.
to be added