- You may wish to consult
Afterlife (disambiguation)for other, similarly-named pages.
Publisher's summary Edit
Alice Obiefune's mother has died, she's been laid off from her library assistant job, and she's being evicted from her flat. Then one day, a rainbow dog comes bounding down the street, being chased by the Eleventh Doctor. He invites her on the chase. He and Alice try to grab its tail, but the Doctor is distracted by a figure in the shadows, and runs smack into a pole. The dog gets away, and Alice and the Doctor shake hands and part ways.
Alice is back in her flat when the TARDIS materialises inside. The Doctor steps out and says she seemed sad. He listens as she tells him about her mother, then invites her into the TARDIS. He opens the doors, and Alice notes the control room is upside down. The Doctor corrects it and starts showing her around. Alice says the dog probably has an owner. The Doctor tells her the dog, a Kharitite, feeds on negative emotions, and she realises where it is going.
In the House of Commons, the Prime Minister's questions are interrupted by the Kharitite. The Doctor and Alice arrive on the scene, and the growing Kharitite starts chasing them. The Doctor tells Alice to lead it outside. Before she can, it bursts out through the wall, attracted by the negative emotions of the amassing UNIT soldiers. They are going to disintegrate the Kharitite, but before they can the TARDIS materialises and a walking squid emerges and hugs the alien dog. The Doctor explains that the Kharitite is the squid's pet. The Doctor, Alice, the squid and the Kharitite head into the TARDIS. Alice needs to deal with her landlord, but the Doctor offers her all of time and space. She asks to take her to a place her mother would have liked.
- Eleventh Doctor
- Alice Obiefune
- Kharitite's owner
- Prime Minister
- Library administrator
- Speaker of the House of Commons
- Members of Parliament
- UNIT soldiers
- Time-Lord figure
- The priest administering Alice's mother's funeral reads from William Penn.
- Alice is a library assistant.
- Alice is unhappy with the Department for Work and Pensions.
- Stores near Alice include Fresco and Cooli.
- The number 81 bus has an advertisement for Hovish on its side.
- Alice calls Citizen's Advice.
- The Doctor chases after a Kharitite, which are also known as "Joy-Beasts".
- The Doctor sees the Talent Scout who has taken the form of a Time Lord.
- In the TARDIS swimming pool, the Doctor keeps an aquatic race of highly intelligent beings that resemble goldfish. One is called Reg.
- The Kharitite is native to Vreular in the Fifth Galaxy.
- A UNIT soldier thinks the squid alien could be the Doctor regenerated.
- This story marks the first appearance of the Talent Scout, the main adversary of the first year of The Eleventh Doctor comic series. He is not named and is seen in the form of a mysterious Time Lord figure. This is the first time the Eleventh Doctor and Alice encounter the Talent Scout but not the first time he encounters them.
- The book Alice reads from is not identified, but the passage she reads is from "The Jumblies" by Edward Lear.
Original print details Edit
to be added
- The Doctor has recently rebooted the universe with the second Big Bang. (TV: The Big Bang)
- The Doctor has recently given Amy and Rory a honeymoon to remember.[additional sources needed] (TV: A Christmas Carol)
- The Doctor has previously walked on the ceilings of a spaceship when he reversed the gravity on the Byzantium. (TV: Flesh and Stone)
- The Doctor tells Alice he loves libraries, except for the ones that try to eat him. (TV: Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead)
- The Doctor has previously encountered rainbow coloured sheep. (COMIC: Booked Up)
- The Kharitite home planet is located in the Fifth Galaxy. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan, AUDIO: Neverland, PROSE: The Tomorrow Windows)
- The Prime Minister is reverted to a child-like psychological state. A "Prime Minister" (but not necessarily the same one) had previously been reverted to a cave-man like state in COMIC: Hunters of the Burning Stone.
- In his Seventh and Eighth incarnations, the Doctor has given shelter in the TARDIS to fledershrews, another species close to extinction. (AUDIO: Black and White, Nevermore, Relative Dimensions) The Eighth Doctor also took into the TARDIS an injured vortisaur named Ramsay. (AUDIO: Storm Warning)