|Main setting:||London, 2014|
|Writer:||Al Ewing & Rob Williams|
|Letterer:||Richard Starkings & Jimmy Betancourt|
|Printed in:||11D 1|
|Release date:||23 July 2014|
|Reprinted in:||DWCT 1|
|Traded in:||After Life|
|Format:||Comic, 1 part|
|Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor|
|none||The Friendly Place|
- You may wish to consult
Afterlife (disambiguation)for other, similarly-named pages.
But what does this grieving young woman have to do with the career of a 70s musician, an amnesiac alien, and a terrifying cosmic threat?
Alice Obiefune's mother has died, she's been laid off from her library assistant job, and she's being evicted from her flat. Then one day, a rainbow dog comes bounding down the street, being chased by the Eleventh Doctor. He invites her on the chase. He and Alice try to grab its tail, but the Doctor is distracted by a figure in the shadows, and runs smack into a pole. The dog gets away, and Alice and the Doctor shake hands and part ways.
Alice is back in her flat when the TARDIS materialises inside. The Doctor steps out and says she seemed sad. He listens as she tells him about her mother, then invites her into the TARDIS. He opens the doors, and Alice notes the control room is upside down. The Doctor corrects it and starts showing her around. Alice says the dog probably has an owner. The Doctor tells her the dog, a Kharitite, feeds on negative emotion, and she realises where it is going.
In the House of Commons, the Prime Minister's address is interrupted by the Kharitite. The Doctor and Alice arrive on the scene, and the growing Kharitite starts chasing them. The Doctor tells Alice to lead it outside. Before she can, it bursts out through the wall, attracted to the negative emotions of the massing UNIT soldiers. They are going to disintegrate the Kharitite, but before they can the TARDIS materialises and a giant walking squid emerges and hugs the alien dog. The Doctor explains that the Kharitite is the squid's pet. The Doctor, Alice, the squid and the Kharitite head into the TARDIS. Alice needs to deal with her landlord, but the Doctor offers her all of time and space.
- William Penn is read at Alice's mum's funeral.
- Alice is a library assistant.
- Stores near Alice include Fresco and Cooli.
- The Doctor chases after a Kharitite Joy-Beast.
- The Doctor sees a figure in the form of a Time Lord.
- In the TARDIS swimming pool, the Doctor keeps a race of intelligent beings that resemble goldfish. One's called Reg.
- The Kharitite is native to Vreular in the Fifth Galaxy.
- A UNIT soldier thinks the squid alien could be the Doctor regenerated.
- The book Alice reads from is not identified, but the passage she reads is from "The Jumblies" by Edward Lear.
Original print details Edit
to be added
- The Doctor has previously walked on the ceilings of a spaceship when he reversed the gravity on the Byzantium. (TV: Flesh and Stone)
- The Doctor tells Alice he loves libraries, except for the ones that try to eat him. (TV: Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead)
- The Doctor has previously encountered rainbow coloured sheep. (COMIC: Booked Up)
- The Kharitite home planet is located in the Fifth Galaxy. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan, AUDIO: Neverland, PROSE: The Tomorrow Windows)
- The Prime Minister is reverted to a child-like state. A "Prime Minister" (but not necessarily the same one) had previously been reverted to a cave-man like state in COMIC: Hunters of the Burning Stone.
- The Tenth Doctor once theorised to Martha Jones that the Brilliant could have crashed into a giant space squid. (PROSE: The Pirate Loop)