a real world point of view
|An Earthly Child|
|Main enemy:||The Guldreasi|
|Main setting:||London and Bristol, the late 2190s|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release number:||7 (spine number VIII)|
|Release date:||December 2009|
|Format:||1 CD - 1 Episode|
|Doctor Who - Specially Released Audio Dramas|
|Return of the Krotons||The Four Doctors|
Publisher's summary Edit
Thirty years on from the Daleks' invasion of Earth, the scars still haven't healed. The survivors inhabit a world thrown back two hundred years, a world of crop shortages and civil unrest. A world where the brightest and best of its young people are drawn to the xenophobic Earth United group.
A world sliding into a new Dark Age, believes Susan Campbell, widow of one of the heroes of the Occupation. A world in need of alien intervention. A world in need of hope.
But as Susan takes drastic action to secure the planet's future, she's oblivious to the fact that her student son, Alex, ensnared by Earth United, is in need of alien intervention too. Or so Alex's great-grandfather thinks.
- The Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann
- Susan Campbell - Carole Ann Ford
- Alex Campbell - Jake McGann
- Holly Barrett - Sheryl Gannaway
- Marion Fleming/Hope - Leslie Ash
- Faisal Jensen/Reporter - Matt Addis
- Duncan - Ian Hallard
- President of the Earth Council/Policeman/Air Control/Helicopter Pilot/Reporter - Ian Brooker
- Slythers are now the stuff of fairy tales to the youth of Earth.
- The Moonbase was cut off by the Daleks during the invasion.
- This was a special release given away to Big Finish subscribers who had AUDIO: Plague of the Daleks as part of their subscription.
- This release was made available to non-subscribers in December 2010.
- Earth is still in ruins some thirty years after the end of the decade long Dalek occupation. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- Susan remembers her last encounter with the Doctor in the Death Zone on Gallifrey and comments that he was in his fifth incarnation at the time. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- Susan's husband, David Campbell, died several years earlier. (PROSE: Legacy of the Daleks)
- The Doctor mentions that he and Susan met Genghis Khan during his first incarnation. (PROSE: Time and Relative) The Seventh Doctor had previously claimed to have delivered him, describing him as a "sweet baby." (PROSE: Tragedy Day) According to the Sixth and Ninth Doctors, the TARDIS once withstood an attack from the assembled hordes of the Genghis Khan, though it is unclear if this occurred during the First Doctor's encounter with him. (AUDIO: City of Spires, TV: Rose) Furthermore, the Doctor, Susan, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright encountered Genghis' grandson Kublai Khan in 1289. (TV: Marco Polo)
- Official An Earthly Child page at bigfinish.com
- Detailed synopsis of An Earthly Child at the Doctor Who Reference Guide