Another Life was the first release in the BBC Torchwood Novels series.
Publisher's summary Edit
Thick black clouds are blotting out the skies over Cardiff. As twenty-four inches of rain fall in twenty-four hours, the city centre's drainage system collapses. The capital's homeless are being murdered, their mutilated bodies left lying in the soaked streets around the Blaidd Dwrg nuclear facility.
Tracked down by Torchwood, the killer calmly drops eight storeys to his death. But the killings don't stop. Their investigations lead Jack Harkness, Gwen Cooper and Toshiko Sato to a monster in a bathroom, a mystery at an army base and a hunt for stolen nuclear fuel rods. Meanwhile, Owen Harper goes missing from the Hub, when a game in Second Reality leads him to an old girlfriend...
Something is coming, forcing its way through the Rift, straight into Cardiff Bay.
- Captain Jack Harkness
- Gwen Cooper
- Toshiko Sato
- Owen Harper
- Ianto Jones
- PC Jimmy Mitchell
- Rico Celi
- Guy Wildman
- Jennifer Fallon
- Dr Megan Tegg
- Betty Jenkins
- Sergeant Anthony Bee
- Lt-Colonel Daniel Yorke
- Major Robert De'Ath
- Private Ross Foxton
- Private Sujit Kandahal
- Sergeant Sandra Applegate
- Dr Amit Majunath
- Roberta Nottingham
- Jonathan Meadows
- Jack mentions UNIT.
- Jack asks Tosh to do a search on "UK hospital examinations or autopsies containing info about binary vascular system", a reference to Time Lord physiology.
- Gwen has only been working for Torchwood a couple of months.
- A radiation sponge can absorb six types of radiation.
- Torchwood traps a radiance sprite.
- This is the first Torchwood novel.
- The online community Owen joins, Second Reality, is based upon the real-life online world, Second Life and features many similarities to the real-world version, including a "time out" area for misbehaving avatars similar in nature to Second Life's infamous "Cornfield" region, and the common practice of individuals choosing avatars of the opposite sex.
- The book's title is also a play on the name Second Life.
- This book is also available as an ebook from the Amazon Kindle store.
- At this point, Gwen is the only current team member who is aware that Jack cannot die. (TV: Everything Changes)
- The Blaidd Drwg nuclear facility is seen, it was first mentioned in TV: Boom Town.
Audio release Edit
- The story was released as an audiobook on 3x CD read by John Barrowman.
- The audiobook is also available as a download from the AudioGo website.