Arrangements for War was the fifty-seventh monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. Taking place immediately after the first half of Project: Lazarus, Arrangements for War builds the world of Világ and also allows a great reflection and building of Evelyn Smythe's character. The Doctor returns to Világ once more in Thicker Than Water.
Publisher's summary Edit
Onboard the TARDIS, nerves are strained.
After escaping the Forge and the murderous clutches of Nimrod, the Doctor and Evelyn have things to talk about. The Doctor's attitude towards death is a subject that these days is too close to Evelyn's heart, and eventually she demands to be set down somewhere where she can be free of him for a while.
Love is everywhere. But then war is too.
Is it time for Evelyn to leave the Doctor? Or is the choice about to be taken out of her hands?
And who is to say what is the beginning and what is the end of love?
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Evelyn Smythe - Maggie Stables
- Governor Rossiter - Gabriel Woolf
- Plenipotentiary Suskind - Philip Bretherton
- Paramount Minister Mortund - Geoffrey Leesley
- Princess Krisztina - Katarina Olsson
- Corporal Reid - Lewis Rae
- Commander Pokol - Kraig Thornber
- Evelyn had a sister named Mary, who was her mother's favourite. Both of them were dead by the time that she had met the Doctor. In childhood, she was nicknamed "Evey" by her family.
- Rossiter is a widower and has three elder sisters.
- The Doctor cites Alfred Lord Tennyson's "The Palace of Art" and "Tears, Idle Tears".
- "Világ" is the Hungarian word for "world" whereas Princess Krisztina is named after Paul Sutton's Hungarian wife.
- This audio drama was recorded on 19 and 20 February 2004 at The Moat Studios.
- An illustrated preview for this story featured in DWM 343 by Martin Geraghty.
- The third edition of aHistory dates this story to circa 2580, since in Hiding Places (set in 2606) Adrian Wall says that he fought in the invasion of Világ.
- Evelyn refers to the death of Cassie Scholefield. (AUDIO: Project: Lazarus)
- The Doctor recalls meeting his next incarnation, whom he describes as "a small type with an odd accent." He tells Evelyn that he is "not looking forward to that." (AUDIO: The Sirens of Time)
- The Doctor describes as the Eye of Orion as being similar to the English South Downs, though with less sheep. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- Evelyn mentions her heart condition (AUDIO: Project: Lazarus) whereas the Doctor uses his respiratory bypass system (TV: Pyramids of Mars).
- Evelyn tells Rossiter that she has recently seen two young people die needlessly. (AUDIO: Doctor Who and the Pirates, Project: Lazarus)
- On her second visit to Világ, Evelyn would decide to leave the TARDIS and settle down, eventually marrying Rossiter. (AUDIO: Thicker Than Water)
- Official Arrangements for War page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Arrangements for War at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide