|Main setting:||London, 1346 and 1278; Unnamed planet, 3488|
|Release date:||7 May 2001|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 10 Chapters, 254 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|The Shadow in the Glass||Superior Beings|
- You may wish to consult
Asylum (disambiguation)for other, similarly-named pages.
Publisher's summary Edit
"My view," said the Fourth Doctor, "is that you can run — in fact it's often by far the best option — but you can't hide. I'll see myself out."
Nyssa felt a pang of disappointment. He had gone. She would probably never see him again.
The town of Oxford in AD 1278 seems a haven of tranquillity. Under the summer sun, merchants, students and clerics go about their daily, unhurried tasks. Alfric, the proctor of the Franciscan friary, has only two minor problems: one of the friars has gone missing, and there's a travelling showman, calling himself the Doctor, with a pretty young noblewoman by his side, attracting crowds in the narrow streets.
When the missing friar is found dead, the Doctor is convinced he has been murdered. There is a ruthless killer at large, and Alfric reluctantly teams up with the Doctor to track him down.
Their investigation leads towards the most celebrated of the Franciscan brotherhood: Roger Bacon, famed throughout Christendom as a scholar — and, in the far future, the subject of a revolutionary thesis by technographer Nyssa of Traken.
to be added
- Fourth Doctor
- Brother Alfric
- Richard of Hockley
- Roger Bacon
- Brother Oswald
- Lady Matilda
- Brother Thomas
- Brother Hubert
- The Chancellor
- Brother Godwin
- The Doctor is travelling alone in this story.
- Later in the Doctor's personal timeline, towards the end of his fourth incarnation, he would meet Nyssa for the first time from her perspective on Traken in 1981. (TV: The Keeper of Traken) In Nyssa's personal timeline, the events of this story take place many years after she parted company with the Fifth Doctor on Terminus. (TV: Terminus)
- Nyssa had previously been reunited with the Doctor, then in his fifth incarnation, on Gallifrey after being transported to an alternative Death Zone by Borusa. (AUDIO: The Five Companions) She would subsequently meet the Fifth Doctor in his mindscape during his regeneration into his sixth incarnation. (AUDIO: Winter) Later still in her personal timeline but earlier in his, she would re-join him as one of his companions. (AUDIO: Cobwebs)
- Nyssa recalls the Doctor's regeneration into his fifth incarnation, (TV: Logopolis) visiting England in September 1666 (TV: The Visitation) and June 1925 (TV: Black Orchid) and killing several Cybermen in 2526. (TV: Earthshock)
- Asylum at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Asylum at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Asylum