|Main enemy:||Silurians, Sea Devils|
|Main setting:||Silurian Earth, 1993|
|Release date:||21 October 1993|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 6 Chapters, 309 Pages|
|Virgin New Adventures|
|Iceberg||The Dimension Riders|
|DWM's "New Adventures order"|
|Cuckoo||The Dimension Riders|
Blood Heat was the nineteenth novel in the Virgin New Adventures series of novels. It was written by Jim Mortimore and features the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice. This is the first New Adventure novel to delve into an alternate universe, spawned from alternate events of Doctor Who and the Silurians.
Publisher's summary Edit
Not men, Ace. Silurians. The original rulers of the Earth.
An attack by dinosaurs convinces the Doctor that he and Ace have arrived in the Jurassic Era. But when they find a woman being hunted by intelligent reptiles, he begins to suspect that something is very wrong.
Then they meet the embittered Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, leading the remnants of UNIT in a hopeless fight against the Silurians who rule his world. And they find out that it all began when the Doctor died...
To be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
- Liz Shaw
- Jo Grant
- John Benton
Aquatic vessels Edit
- Morka injects Bernice Summerfield with a virus which cures the race memory malaise.
- The Silurian virus is known as "the Nightmare".
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor has two more ribs than a human.
- Morka killed the alternative Third Doctor.
- The Doctor performs a time ram to destroy this universe to save his own.
The Doctor's items Edit
- Ace finds a sonic screwdriver in the (dead) Third Doctor's pockets.
- Jo Grant was sent to retrieve the launch codes the Brigadier planned to use. She goes insane from radiation exposure and race memory malaise.
- Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart injects a stimulant into Jo Grant to get information from her. It kills her.
- Liz Shaw married a man named James Lester. He hit his head looking for food and died.
- Manisha saw her version of Ace die, an inversion of events in the primary universe, where Ace saw Manisha die when her flat was firebombed. (TV: Ghost Light)
- Rod was part of the group getting supplies.
- Ophidian is a Silurian city on Earth.
- Sam Meredith works with UNIT.
- The Doctor notices that Zanzibar is almost totally submerged.
- Ace has been out of the Spacefleet for a few months, though she still wears the uniform/body armour.
- The dilophosaurus is a type of theropod dinosaur.
- The Doctor refers to Silurians as psionosauropodomorpha.
- Ace adopts a compsognathus as a mascot.
- An edmontonia knocks the TARDIS into a tar pit.
- The Doctor, Ace and Jo ride ornithomimuses into a herd of seismosauruses.
- The large theropod dinosaur baryonyx is shown to hunt the human survivors horses.
- A pack of raptors attack Mamisha's house.
- A large species of pterodactyl are used by the Silurians as mounts.
- Sea Devils use kronosaurus to attack the submarine, The Revenge.
- Silurains are revealed to use mammoths for food and presumably milk and wool.
- Other dinosaurs are featured including tyrannosaurus rex, triceratops, apatosaurus, hadrosaurus, stegosaurus, camarasaurus and archaeopteryx.
- The TARDIS falls through a puncture in the Time Vortex.
- Ace lifts the TARDIS belonging to the alternate Doctor (which had fallen on its doors) single-handedly and with a broken arm.
- Ace makes the (alternate universe) TARDIS materialise around the entire planet Earth, placing everything in a state of temporal grace.
- The Doctor uses the secondary console room.
- The Doctor takes his third self's TARDIS from the alternate universe as his is lost in a tar pit. This TARDIS has a working Chameleon Circuit.
- Ace's new variant of Nitro-9, Nitro-9 smart bombs, can fly and accept verbal commands.
- Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart launches a nuclear warhead at the Silurian capital city in Africa.
- Ace has an oval scar on her stomach cause by a Special Weapons Dalek.
- A prelude to this novel was published in DWM 205.
- Blood Heat marks the beginning of the pentalogy of New Adventure novels loosely known as the Alternative Universe Arc. This is comprised of this novel, The Dimension Riders, The Left-Handed Hummingbird, Conundrum, and No Future.
- In 2015, Jim Mortimore self-published a reworked 'director's cut' of the novel, reworking some character names and sans the Doctor Who series title.
- A similar journey by the Doctor, Ace and Benny into an alternate universe featuring the Silurians and an alternate version of UNIT occurred in COMIC: Final Genesis, both of which the Doctor describes as having the events of TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians as their starting points.
- The Doctor's original TARDIS is lost in a tar pit. It will be returned to him in PROSE: Happy Endings.
- Manisha was first mentioned in TV: Ghost Light.
- The TARDIS similarly falls through a puncture in the time vortex into an alternate universe in TV: Rise of the Cybermen.
- Prelude to Blood Heat as published in DWM #205
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Blood Heat at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Blood Heat