Blood and Hope was the fourteenth Telos Doctor Who novella. It featured the Fifth Doctor, Peri Brown and Erimem. It is the first and only Telos novella to feature a companion from Big Finish Productions' Doctor Who audio story range (Erimem) and is one of only two novels published during this time to do so, the other is PROSE: Instruments of Darkness. This novella was written by Iain McLaughlin who created the character of Erimem, writing her first story AUDIO: The Eye of the Scorpion.
The American Civil War... a time of great unrest, when fathers found themselves in conflict with their own sons and when lawlessness and slavery were rife. The Doctor, together with his companions Peri and Erimem, arrive in the middle of the conflict. The Doctor manages to cope in his own inimitable manner, but Peri -- an American -- and Erimem -- a dark-skinned Egyptian -- find themselves faced with all the bigotry and hatred that typified the war for some.
to be added
- Fifth Doctor
- Peri Brown
- Claire Bartlett
- Aaron Eddowes
- Cassius Eldon
- Jubal Eustace
- Will Johnson
- Paul LeVal
- Philip LeVal
- Hilary Makepeace
- Kenneth Smith
- Moses Smith
- Peri has heard the Doctor use the alias 'John Smith' before.
Foods and beverages
- Peri and Erimem have gotten drunk together before.
- The Foreword was written by by John Ostrander.
- The deluxe edition frontispiece was illustrated by Walter Howarth
- The Doctor and Peri recall meeting Erimem in Thebes, Egypt in circa 1400 BC. (AUDIO: The Eye of the Scorpion)
- Peri mentions her stepfather Howard Foster. (TV: Planet of Fire)
- The Doctor refers to having studied medicine under Joseph Lister in Glasgow in 1888. (TV: The Moonbase)
- On this occasion, the Doctor prevents the premature assassination of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln in Richmond, Virginia by Aaron Eddowes. Only five days later, on 14 April 1865, the Sixth Doctor and his companion Evelyn Smythe ensured that Lincoln would be assassinated by John Wilkes Booth in Ford's Theatre in Washington DC in accordance with established history. (AUDIO: Assassin in the Limelight)