|Main setting:||Baquerizo Moreno on the Galapagos Islands, 19 September 1835|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Cover by:||Clayton Hickman|
|Release date:||July 2001|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|Dust Breeding||Project Twilight|
Bloodtide was an audio drama released by Big Finish Productions featuring the Sixth Doctor and Evelyn Smythe. A pseudo-historical story, it dramatised a portion of the studies made by Charles Darwin on the Galapagos Islands. It also marked the first appearance of the Silurians on audio.
Publisher's summary Edit
The prehistoric Earth is dying. Thunderclouds roll across the skies, cloaking the land in darkness. The seas crash and boil as the rain turns to acid. The remnants of the Silurian race place themselves in suspended animation, deep below the surface.
One day they will awaken and reclaim their world...
In the settlement of Baquerizo Moreno, there are rumours that prisoners have been mysteriously disappearing from the gaolhouse. A fisherman has been driven insane by something he saw in the caves. And the Sixth Doctor and Eveyln are not the only new arrivals; there is also a young natural philosopher by the name of Charles Darwin...
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Evelyn Smythe - Maggie Stables
- Tulok - Daniel Hogarth
- Sh'vak - Helen Goldwyn
- Governor Lawson - Julian Harries
- Emilio - Jez Fielder
- Greta Rodrigues - Jane Goddard
- Charles Darwin - Miles Richardson
- Captain Fitzroy - George Telfer
- Lokan - Jez Fielder
- The Doctor goes by the pseudonym "Albert Einstein".
- The Doctor and Evelyn meet Darwin while he is on the HMS Beagle.
- The Silurians have a Myrka.
Theories and concepts Edit
- Monkton's Theorem states that no intelligent species is likely to leave behind fossils.
- This story marks the first appearance of the Silurians and the Myrka in an audio drama.
- Clayton Hickman's CD cover won the Doctor Who Magazine Best Cover Poll in 2001.
- This audio drama was recorded on 31 March and 1 April 2001.
- An illustrated preview featured in DWM 305 illustrated by Lee Sullivan.
- Alistair Lock's score to this story and Project: Twilight, alongside the score to The One Doctor, was released on the CD Music from the Sixth Doctor Audio Adventures.
- The Silurians first appeared on screen in TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians.
- The Myrka previously appeared in TV: Warriors of the Deep and PROSE: The Scales of Injustice.
- The Third Doctor previously claimed to have met Darwin. (PROSE: Island of Death)
- Many years later, the Seventh Doctor and Evelyn would reminisce about meeting Darwin. (AUDIO: A Death in the Family)
- The Eighth Doctor later told his companion Charley Pollard that this experience "put [Darwin] off reptiles for life. Well, almost." (AUDIO: The Creed of the Kromon)
- Official Bloodtide page at bigfinish.com
- Bloodtide at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Bloodtide at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide