a real world point of view
|Main enemy:||Sh'vak (redeems herself)|
|Main setting:||Baquerizo Moreno on the Galapagos Islands, 19 September 1835|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release date:||July 2001|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|Dust Breeding||Project Twilight|
Bloodtide was a Sixth Doctor/Evelyn Smythe Big Finish audio play. It featured the first appearance of the Silurians in audio. A pseudo-historical story, it dramatised a portion of the voyage Charles Darwin made to the Galapagos Islands.
Publisher's summary Edit
The prehistoric Earth is dying. Thunderclouds roll across the skies, cloaking the land in darkness. The seas crash and boil as the rain turns to acid. The remnants of the Silurian race place themselves in suspended animation, deep below the surface.
One day they will awaken and reclaim their world...
In the settlement of Baquerizo Moreno, there are rumours that prisoners have been mysteriously disappearing from the gaolhouse. A fisherman has been driven insane by something he saw in the caves. And the Sixth Doctor and Eveyln are not the only new arrivals; there is also a young natural philosopher by the name of Charles Darwin...
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Evelyn Smythe - Maggie Stables
- Tulok - Daniel Hogarth
- Sh'vak - Helen Goldwyn
- Governor Lawson - Julian Harries
- Emilio - Jez Fielder
- Greta Rodrigues - Jane Goddard
- Charles Darwin - Miles Richardson
- Captain Fitzroy - George Telfer
- Lokan - Jez Fielder
- The Silurians have a Myrka.
Theories and concepts Edit
- Monkton's Theorem states that no intelligent species is likely to leave behind fossils.
- The Doctor makes Charles Darwin think that he is Albert Einstein by making himself known to the scientific community of the time.
- This story marks the first appearance of the Silurians and the Myrka in an audio drama.
- Clayton Hickman's CD cover won the Doctor Who Magazine Best Cover Poll in 2001.
- Miles Richardson (Charles Darwin) is better known for his role as Irving Braxiatel in the Bernice Summerfield and Gallifrey audio series.
- This audio drama was recorded on 31 March and 1 April 2001.
- An illustrated preview featured in DWM 305 illustrated by Lee Sullivan.
- The Silurians first appeared on screen in TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians.
- The Myrka previously appeared in TV: Warriors of the Deep and PROSE: The Scales of Injustice.
- The Third Doctor previously claimed to have met Darwin. (PROSE: Island of Death)
- Many years later, the Seventh Doctor and Evelyn would reminisce about meeting Darwin. (AUDIO: A Death in the Family)
- The Eighth Doctor later told his companion Charley Pollard that this experience "put [Darwin] off reptiles for life. Well, almost." (AUDIO: The Creed of the Kromon)
- Official Bloodtide page at bigfinish.com
- Detailed synopsis of Bloodtide at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Bloodtide at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide