a real world point of view
|Companion(s):||Ian, Barbara, Vicki|
|Cover by:||Black Sheep|
|Release date:||July, 2001|
|Format:||Paperback Book, --- Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|Superior Beings||Bullet Time|
Byzantium! was the forty-fourth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the First Doctor, Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Vicki Pallister. Set at the beginning of TV: The Romans as the TARDIS falls off the cliff, this is the first full length story that features Vicki as a 'companion'.
"Life is cheap in Byzantium. Life is cheap everywhere that the Romans are."
Byzantium. The imperial city - rising dramatically, as if by a trick of the light, from the peninsula of the Bosphorus and the Black Sea. Its domes and towers and minarets overlook a place of intrigue, lust, power, oppression, resistance and murder.
Romans, Greeks, Zealots, Pharisees ... all meet in the market squares of the great city, but mutual loathing and suspicion are rife.
Into this cauldron, the Doctor and his companions arrive, expecting to view the splendour and civilisation of the Roman Empire. But events cast them into a deadly maelstrom of social and political upheaval. In the eye of the hurricane they must each face the possibility of being stranded, alone and far from their own times, in an alien culture bunker.
to be added
- The Doctor has faced the "fifty-eight terrors of the universe".
- The Doctor has been travelling in the TARDIS for sixty years, making him two hundred ninety-six during this story.
- The Doctor has visited Rome, Jerusalem and Antioch and witnessed both the debut performance of King Lear and the assassination of US President William McKinley.
- The Doctor was on the field of battle in the Battle of Passchendaele during World War I.
- "Trois Gymnopédies" is being played in a tavern on a musical instrument the Doctor has not seen before.
- Barbara compares Vicki to Susan Foreman.
- There is a flash-forward scene which reveals Ian and Barbara will have a son, John Alydon Ganatus Chesterton.
- The ship which transported Vicki to Dido left Earth in 2493.
- Vicki is fourteen years old. Her mother died when she was eleven.
- While in Byzantium, she uses the alias "Vickius Pallisterus."
- Vicki has never heard of Plato, Socrates or Archimedes, though she is vaguely aware of Charles Dickens.
- Maximus tells Ian that Shalmaneser II failed in battle because his army had wicker shields.
- Caesar Tiberius replaced Augustus in AD 14.
- The Doctor has visited Mondas.
- Ian mentions The Morecambe & Wise Show.
- This book is also available as an ebook and from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The novel reveals that Vicki's last name is Pallister. It was never mentioned in any televised episode.
- Vicki states that her mother wanted to call her Tanni, but her father preferred Vicki. This is a sly reference to the fact that the new companion's name in TV: The Rescue was originally going to be Tanni.
- Vicki refers to her recent rescue from Dido in 2493. (TV: The Rescue)
- Ian adapts the story of the Daleks and the Thals to entertain an audience. (TV: The Daleks)
- The Doctor seems to be aware that Vicki will eventually become Cressida in circa 1200 BC. (TV: The Myth Makers)
- Barbara mentions that she learned her lesson about trying to change history in Mexico. (TV: The Aztecs)
- By 1973, Ian has befriended Greg Sutton. (TV: Inferno)
- Gaius Calaphilus fought "Boudica's wretched Iceni" in Roman Britain in 60. During his fourth incarnation, the Doctor and his companion Leela would encounter Boudica during her revolt against the occupying Roman forces in Britain. (AUDIO: The Wrath of the Iceni)
- Detailed synopsis of Byzantium! at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Byzantium! at The Whoniverse