|Companion(s):||Ian, Barbara, Vicki|
|Main setting:||Byzantium, 64; London, 1973|
|Cover by:||Black Sheep|
|Release date:||2 July 2001|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 36 Chapters, 283 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|Superior Beings||Bullet Time|
Byzantium! was the forty-fourth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the First Doctor, Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Vicki Pallister. Set at the beginning of The Romans as the TARDIS falls off the cliff, this is the first full length story that features Vicki as a companion.
Publisher's summary Edit
"Life is cheap in Byzantium. Life is cheap everywhere that the Romans are."
Byzantium. The imperial city — rising dramatically, as if by a trick of the light, from the peninsula of the Bosphorus and the Black Sea. Its domes and towers and minarets overlook a place of intrigue, lust, power, oppression, resistance and murder.
Romans, Greeks, Zealots, Pharisees ... all meet in the market squares of the great city, but mutual loathing and suspicion are rife.
Into this cauldron, the Doctor and his companions arrive, expecting to view the splendour and civilisation of the Roman Empire. But events cast them into a deadly maelstrom of social and political upheaval. In the eye of the hurricane they must each face the possibility of being stranded, alone and far from their own times, in an alien culture bunker.
Chapter Titles Edit
- Prologue: Once in a Lifetime
Episode One: LXIV, And All That...
- Chapter One: Direction, Reaction, Creation
- Chapter Two: There Are Seven Levels
- Chapter Three: Through the Past, Darkly
- Chapter Four: Naming All the Stars
- Chapter Five: Babylon's Burning
- Chapter Six: The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death
- Chapter Seven: Cephalic Symbol
- Chapter Eight: Right Here, Right Now
Episode Two: Four Sides to the Circle
- Chapter Nine: The Culture Bunker, Part One — Heliocentric
- Chapter Ten: The Culture Bunker, Part Two — Spies Like Us
- Chapter Eleven: The Culture Bunker, Part Three - Going Underground
- Chapter Twelve: The Culture Bunker, Part Four — Everybody's Been Burned Before
- Chapter Thirteen: The Enemy of My Enemy Is My Friend
- Chapter Fourteen: He Not Busy Being Born is Busy Dying
Episode Three: Window Shopping for a New Crown of Thorns
- Chapter Fifteen: Pale Shelter
- Chapter Sixteen: True Faith and Brotherhood
- Chapter Seventeen: The Culture Bunker, Part Five — How Soon Is Now?
- Chapter Eighteen: Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
- Chapter Nineteen: Some Call It God-Core
- Chapter Twenty: What Did Your Last Slave Die Of?
Episode Four: Infamy, Infamy, They've All Got It In For Me
- Chapter Twenty-One: Perfume (AU on You)
- Chapter Twenty-Two: The Culture Bunker, Part Six - Jehovahkill
- Chapter Twenty-Three: You're History
- Chapter Twenty-Four: Rust Never Sleeps
- Chapter Twenty-Five: Give 'Em Enough Rope
- Chapter Twenty-Six: Jigsaw Feeling (A Poem for Byzantium)
Episode Five: Four Lone Ends
- Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Culture Bunker, Part Seven — Losing My Religion
- Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Passage of Time Leaving Empty Lives Waiting to Be Filled
- Chapter Twenty-Nine: One Man Clapping
- Chapter Thirty: Coping
- Chapter Thirty-One: The Culture Bunker, Part Eight — Just Another Greek Tragedy
- Chapter Thirty-Two: A New Dawn Fades
- Chapter Thirty-Three: Here's Where The Story Ends
- Chapter Thirty-Four: ...And Miles to Go Before We Sleep
- Epilogue: Two Thousand Light Years from Home
to be added
- First Doctor
- Ian Chesterton
- Barbara Wright
- Vicki Pallister
- Gaius Calaphilus
- Thalius Maximus
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor has been travelling in the TARDIS for sixty years, making him two hundred ninety-six during this story.
- The Doctor has visited Rome, Jerusalem and Antioch and witnessed both the debut performance of King Lear and the assassination of US President William McKinley.
- The Doctor was on the field of battle in the Battle of Passchendaele during World War I.
- "Trois Gymnopédies" is being played in a tavern on a musical instrument the Doctor has not seen before.
- Barbara compares Vicki to Susan Foreman.
- The ship which transported Vicki to Dido left Earth in 2493.
- Vicki has never heard of Plato, Socrates or Archimedes, though she is vaguely aware of Charles Dickens.
- Maximus tells Ian that Shalmaneser II failed in battle because his army had wicker shields.
- Caesar Tiberius succeeded Augustus in AD 14.
Planets and stars Edit
- The Doctor has visited Mondas.
- Ian Chesterton shows Vicki several celestial bodies in the Earth sky: Pegasus, Andromeda, the Seven Sisters, Orion, Betelgeuse, Rigel, the Horsehead Nebula, Orionis Zeta, Orionis Epsilon, Orionis Delta, Polaris (the pole star), the Ursa Minor, Castor and Pollux, Gemini, Venus and Jupiter.
Television series Edit
- Ian mentions The Morecambe & Wise Show.
- This book is also available as an ebook and from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The novel reveals that Vicki's last name is Pallister. It was never mentioned in any televised episode.
- Vicki states that her mother wanted to call her Tanni, but her father preferred Vicki. This is a sly reference to the fact that the new companion's name in TV: The Rescue was originally going to be Tanni.
- There is a flash-forward scene which reveals Ian and Barbara will have a son, John Alydon Ganatus Chesterton, by 1973. TV: The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith and COMIC: Hunters of the Burning Stone would later confirm that Ian and Barbara will someday marry.
- Vicki refers to her recent rescue from Dido in 2493. (TV: The Rescue)
- Ian adapts the story of the Daleks and the Thals to entertain an audience. (TV: The Daleks)
- The Doctor seems to be aware that Vicki will eventually become Cressida in circa 1200 BC. (TV: The Myth Makers)
- Barbara mentions that she learned her lesson about trying to change history in Mexico. (TV: The Aztecs)
- By 1973, Ian has befriended Greg Sutton. (TV: Inferno)
- Gaius Calaphilus fought "Boudica's wretched Iceni" in Roman Britain in 60. During his fourth incarnation, the Doctor and his companion Leela would encounter Boudica during her revolt against the occupying Roman forces in Britain. (AUDIO: The Wrath of the Iceni)
- Byzantium! at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Byzantium! at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Byzantium!