Canada was a nation in North America.
In 1979, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and a team from the British division of UNIT travelled to Canada where they investigated sentient electricity pylons which were stalking the Canadian countryside. (AUDIO: The Oseidon Adventure)
During the environmental and social chaos of the early 21st century, it was possible for a person to get someone to Canada if support finance could be guaranteed for their first three years. Maria Chavez accomplished this for her son, having raised most of money from her job and the insurance policy paying off the balance when she died. (PROSE: Cat's Cradle: Warhead)
In 2012, Alistair Gryffen was born in Canada. (TV: Taphony and the Time Loop) Gryffen later became an exceptionally respected scientist, renowned for his work in robotics, particularly for his revolutionary invention, the Thought Matrix, which allowed human-created Robots to think for themselves. (TV: Robot Gladiators) He was also one of a group of scientists which created a system to cool the Earth. (TV: The Korven) This resulted in the disastrous 'Great Cataclysm'. (TV: Aeolian) He met K9 Mark 2 in 2050, and they had many adventures, including defeating a Korven invasion. (TV: The Eclipse of the Korven)
- The Second Doctor compared an unnamed planet inhabited by sabre-toothed gorillas to Canada. (COMIC: The Sabre-Toothed Gorillas)
- The Eleventh Doctor said that the Silurian Ark was the size of Canada. (TV: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)
Behind the scenes
- Doctor Who was filmed in Vancouver, B.C. in 1995-96, the first time a Doctor Who production had been mounted in North America. Canada remains the only North American country to host a complete production (other on-location episodes such as The Angels Take Manhattan and The Impossible Astronaut were still partially filmed in the UK).
- Canada was the first country in North America (and one of the first outside the UK) to see broadcasts of Doctor Who when the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation debuted the first season in 1964 (it was cancelled 20 weeks later, however, following the conclusion of Marco Polo). Viewers in Edmonton, Alberta were also the first to see the 1996 TV movie, which aired there a few days before it was shown in the US. In 2005 Canada repeated history by once again becoming the first North American country (and one of if not the first non-UK countries) to see the revived series, again on the CBC, initially only two weeks after the UK broadcast.
- The origins of Doctor Who also owe a debt to Canada, as Sydney Newman, considered one of the creators of Doctor Who, was a Canadian working for the BBC. He began his TV career as a producer for the CBC.
- According to The Brilliant Book 2011, a REF book this wiki's policies do not consider to be a valid source; when solar flares threatened life on Earth, the nations of the world constructed starships such as Starship UK, to house their populations. Starship Canada was among them.