Captain Jack's Monster Files
Initially, the series was presented as Captain Jack's Monster Files, in which John Barrowman, as Jack Harkness, narrates a brief history of various creatures and races encountered by the Doctor. The clips and videos were often depicted as being information acquired by the Torchwood Institute over the years. Live-action footage of Barrowman as Harkness was incorporated into the clips.
Although Files instalments usually corresponded with the episode being shown that week, during some two-parters extra Files about old monsters were released for the first part. The Slitheen were used for the Files broadcast in conjunction with The Sontaran Stratagem, for example, and the Judoon were used for Silence in the Library. A Christmas-themed Files episode was also created, in which Jack talked about the Sycorax, the Titanic, the Empress of the Racnoss, the Roboforms, the Roboform Christmas trees, the Graske and the Changelings.
- Partners in Crime: Adipose Monster File
- The Fires of Pompeii: Pyrovile Monster File
- Planet of the Ood: Ood Monster File
- The Sontaran Stratagem: Slitheen Monster File
- The Poison Sky: Sontaran Monster File
- The Doctor's Daughter: Hath Monster File
- The Unicorn and the Wasp: Vespiform Monster File
- Silence in the Library: Judoon Monster File
- Forest of the Dead: Vashta Nerada Monster File
- Midnight: Midnight Monster file (Midnight Entity)
- Turn Left: The Trickster's Brigade Monster File
- The Stolen Earth: Dalek Monster File
- Journey's End: Davros Monster File
- 2008 Adventure Calendar: Christmas Monster File (Sycorax, Empress of the Racnoss, Max Capricorn, Heavenly Hosts, Roboforms, Roboform Christmas trees, Graske and Changelings)
- The Next Doctor: Cybermen Monster File
2009 Adventure Calendar
For the 2009 Doctor Who Adventure Calendar, a webisode focusing on the Weeping Angels entitled A Ghost Story for Christmas was produced. Unlike earlier instalments, it was not identified as being part of the Monster Files series, and also told a brief story as opposed to being a straight documentary. Barrowman returned to narrate the piece as Captain Jack, however.
River Song's Monster Files
The Monster Files series resumed during Series 5. Now narrated by Alex Kingston as River Song, and featuring specially shot introduction footage, the files now took the form of information taken from her diary. Like at the end of Harkness' videos, she has survival tips, in this case called "Useful Spoilers."
The Weeping Angels are the only creatures so far to be featured twice.
The videos are streamed via the BBC's official Doctor Who website. Virtually all videos on the site are "geofenced" due to licensing and are technically not allowed to be viewed outside of the UK, though they are widely circulated anyway. None of these clips have been released on DVD or as any other form of media.