The Fourth Doctor arrives in the city of Zombos on the planet Zom. A ruling council, the Brains Trust, whose members wear eyeless masks which look like brains, have identified emotions as the cause of all crime and outlawed them. With the Moderator General and the Moderators, the people are controlled and forbidden emotional experiences. They use Harmonisers to remove emotions from the citizens. There is resistance from the Zom Emotional People's Organisation, each of whom carries out and lives by one emotion alone to preserve it until the arrival of the Great Emoter.
The Doctor is seen as the Great Emoter and is helped to escape the city. However, ZEPO's Big Hate has a plan to destroy the Moderators using his savage Barabara (giant blood bugs). The Barabara are released into the city but start to eat everyone, not just the Moderators. The Barabara, however, are defenceless against adrenalin. The Doctor appeals to the Brains Trust who agree to reinstall emotions to save what they have, but the Moderator General is opposed to the plan and kills the others.
The Doctor overpowers the Moderator General and orders the people into the Harmonisers, where they regain their emotions. The Barabara quickly die. The city begins a new life with a full set of emotions. The people feel so grateful to the Doctor that they end up dressing like him and adopting his mannerisms.
- Fourth Doctor
- Moderator General
- Brains Trust
- Freddy Feel-Good
- Very Angry
- Fairly Angry
- Slightly Angry
- Big Hate
- Half Daft
- Jelly babies apparently stop ears popping during transmat travel.
- Pat Mills and John Wagner, although jointly credited, took turns in writing the scripts (the first person credited was the actual writer of the script, the second merely typed it). The Iron Legion was written by Pat Mills.
- City of the Damned was submitted as a television story, but rejected.
- For the USA reprints, the story was retitled City of the Cursed due to censorship laws in the United States.
Publication and reprints
Original print details
- (Publication with page count and closing captions)
- DWM 9 (5 pages) Next Week: Mind-Wipe!
- DWM 10 (4 pages) Next Week: Gauntlet of Death!
- DWM 11 (4 pages) Next Week: The Big Hate!
- DWM 12 (4 pages) Next Issue: Night of the Barabara!
- DWM 13 (5 pages) Next Week: Bitter Harvest!
- DWM 14 (4 pages) Next Week: Streets of Blood!
- DWM 15 (4 pages) Next Week: The Last Hours!
- DWM 16 (4 pages) Next Issue: Join the Doctor and K9 in Time-Trap!
- Marvel Premiere Issues 59-60 Reprinted in colour.
- The Iron Legion the launch title of a new series of graphic novels (published in 2004), reprinting cleaned up comic strips covering strips from Doctor Who Weekly' issue 1 through to 38. Reprinted as original, in black and white, with closing captions.
- DWC 1 and 2 recoloured
- Doctor Who Classics Omnibus Volume 1
to be added