Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Unlike other fictional universes, the Doctor Who universe is created solely by fiction. To us, this is a secondary source. Information from this source can only be used in "behind the scenes" sections, or on pages about real world topics.
|Classic Who: The Harper Classics|
|Written by:||Adrian Rigelsford|
|Release date:||26 August 1996|
|Format:||Large format hardback 128 pages|
Classic Who: The Harper Classics was a Doctor Who reference book published by Boxtree.
Subject matter Edit
Publisher's summary Edit
Of all the Doctor Who stories ever broadcast two of the most critically acclaimed remain The Caves of Androzani, and Revelation of the Daleks, featuring Colin Baker. Widely hailed by fans of the series as classics, the director of both of these stories, Graeme Harper, reveals here the behind-the-scenes details of the making of two extraordinary pieces of science fiction.
Adrian Rigelsford has worked closely with Graeme Harper, drawing together a fascinating account of his work on the programme. With contributions from both the cast and the crew, a unique chronicle has been formed of what went on – on both sides of the camera.
With one-hundred-and-fifty previously unpublished photographs and rare behind-the-scenes material, CLASSIC WHO – THE HARPER CLASSICS also offers Graeme Harper's memories of working on earlier stories that featured Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker's Doctors, and for the first time provides a very personal account of his involvement in the lost 30th Anniversary story, The Dark Dimension.
- Author's Introduction
- Chapter One: Just Another Sucker on the Vine
- Chapter Two: Scary Monsters
- Chapter Three: A Day in the Life
- Chapter Four: Golden Slumbers
- Appendix One: Episode Guide & Production Credits
- Appendix Two: Broadcast Dates & Viewing Figures
Notable features Edit
- Besides directing the two main stories of this book, Graeme Harper's association with the series is much longer. At various times he was a floor assistant, assistant floor manager and production assistant. He worked with five of the eight actors to have played the role of the Doctor to date.
- Incidentally, Graeme Harper returned several years later to work with both the Ninth and Tenth Doctors.
- The book contains numerous behind the scenes pictures and is illustrated throughout.
- Unlike the previous title by Adrian Rigelsford (Classic Who: The Hinchcliffe Years), this title was noted inside as "by arrangement with BBC Worldwide Limited".
- The title page would suggest the full title of this book is Classic Who: The Harper Classics: The Making of The Caves of Androzani and Revelation of the Daleks. The words "The Making of" are omitted from the dust jacket.
- The photographic dust jacket was designed by "Shoot That Tiger", covering a plain black hard cover.
- The book was designed by Dan Newman.
- Further "Classic Who" books had been planned: The Making of The Dark Dimension, The 500 Year Diary and similar association titles with Barry Letts and David Maloney.
Publication history Edit
- This hardback title was priced £14.99 (UK) and not released as a paperback.