Publisher's summary Edit
A newly regenerated Fifth Doctor arrives on an occupied ice planet – where the Seventh Doctor is investigating dangerous energy experiments conducted by the Earth Empire. But events spin out of control when a refugee from the distant past arrives - Patience, the Doctor's Wife!
to be added
- The Fifth Doctor - Peter Davison
- The Seventh Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Adric - Matthew Waterhouse
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Tegan - Janet Fielding
- Roz Forrester - Yasmin Bannerman
- Chris Cwej - Travis Oliver
- Patience - Christine Kavanagh
- Medford/Quint/Quant/Ziyou Wanle/Ferutu - Jeremy Hitchen
- Whitfield - Sharon Maughan
- Adam/Falconstock/Sam/Concierge/Robot Voices - Peter Caulfield
- This story was recorded on 24, 25, and 26 May 2016 at The Moat Studios.
- After AUDIO: Theatre of War, this was the second novel adaptation to be adapted by its original author.
- Nyssa mentions Trodos and the robot uprising there in 2066. (COMIC: The Trodos Tyranny)
- The Seventh Doctor remembers joining his other twelve incarnations to save Gallifrey. (TV: The Day of the Doctor)
- The Seventh Doctor starts to mention an incident in which he and the Fifth Doctor encountered each other involving the Knights of Velyshaa, but the Fifth Doctor quickly stops him from talking, as he hasn't experienced that event yet. At that time, the Fifth Doctor was travelling with Tegan and Turlough but neither was present for that event. (AUDIO: The Sirens of Time) The Fifth and Seventh Doctors also met shortly before dropping off their respective companions Peri Brown, Erimem, Ace and Hex in Monte Carlo in 1966. (AUDIO: The Veiled Leopard) They encountered each other again in the Eighth Doctor's TARDIS (AUDIO: The Four Doctors) and in the Factory (AUDIO: The Light at the End) but neither retains any memory of those meetings.
- When the Fifth Doctor stops the Seventh Doctor from mentioning the Knights of Velyshaa incident, he notes that they could've shorted out the time differential. He then notices that his voice sounds older than it should. (TV: Time Crash)
- Both the Fifth and Seventh Doctors remember meeting Omega. (TV: The Three Doctors) The Seventh Doctor remembers meeting Omega on four separate occasions. (TV: Arc of Infinity; AUDIO: Omega)
- When asked about the nature of his birth by Patience, the Fifth Doctor reveals that he was "unambiguously" loom-born. (PROSE: Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible)
Deviations from the original novel Edit
- No reference is made to the Scientifica using slave labour.
- In the novel, the Doctor is unsure about how he was born, whereas in the audio he states that he was "unambiguously" Loom-born.
- When the Fifth and Seventh Doctors are discussing past multi-Doctor events, they omit reference to how the Terrible Zodin used mind-rubbers, but mention the Knights of Velyshaa (AUDIO: The Sirens of Time) - which hasn't happened for the Fifth Doctor yet - and how their recent equations will be helpful when all thirteen Doctors have to work together to save Gallifrey. (TV: The Day of the Doctor) They also make reference to having 'shorted out the time differential' (TV: Time Crash), the Fifth Doctor asking if he sounds older.
- Where the novel ended with Roz knocking out the Fifth Doctor and the Seventh, Roz, and Chris departing for their TARDIS via transmat, the audio adds an extra few moments where Adric, Nyssa and Tegan arrive while debating why the future Doctor doesn't recall these events only to find the Fifth Doctor unconscious.