|Main enemy:||The Tinghus, New Cuddlesomes|
|Main setting:||Hove, England, 2008 and 2011|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release date:||March 2008|
|Format:||2 Episodes on 1 CD|
|Doctor Who -|
Specially Released Audio Dramas
|The Veiled Leopard||The Mists of Time|
Cuddlesome was a 2008 audio drama starring the Fifth Doctor. A remake of an Audio Visuals story of the same title, it was released on an audio CD included with Doctor Who Magazine issue 393. It was re-released as free content on the Big Finish Podcast on 3 August 2011, and was put on Big Finish's Soundcloud in 2012.
Publisher's summary Edit
For so long now, the Cuddlesomes have been forgotten, lying in attics and junk shops. But now they're waking up. And they want to give us all a cuddle. A long, slow, deadly cuddle...
Landing in an England gripped by a strange new plague, the Doctor is soon on the Cuddlesomes' trail. But the toys are just part of a twisted plan to wipe out a whole generation...
Full audio Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Angela Wisher - Roberta Taylor
- Ronald Turvey - Timothy West
- The Tinghus - David Troughton
- John Dixon/The New Cuddlesomes - Matthew Noble
- Miranda Evenden/The Cuddlesomes/Dr Cooper/Vehicle - Kate Brown
- Newsreader - Nicholas Briggs
- John Dixon had a Cuddlesome in the 1980s.
- The original Cuddlesome factory in Shoreham closed down in 1983.
- John's father lives in Brisbane.
- The Doctor was trying to visit Brighton in 1818.
- John was born on 12 January 1976. He has a sister named Bryony.
- Angela suggests that the Doctor could find a Cuddlesome on eBay.
- The Inland Revenue had Turvey arrested on charges of tax fraud. He spent more than 20 years in prison.
- Angela carries a hammer in her bag.
- Dominic Martin was born on 3 May 1978.
- The Doctor once had a bear, but he had to release it when it started eating his bedroom furniture.
- Angela refers to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
- Telepathic resonance makes the Doctor's elbows twitch.
- In the 1980s, Cuddlesomes were sold in the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Europe, China and Russia.
- As a child, Turvey had a teddy bear named Mr Cuddles. When he was 18 years old, he went to university and studied biochemistry. At the end of the worst term of his life, several students broke into his room and destroyed Mr Cuddles.
- Angela is a plumber.
- The Tingha are allergic to the human growth hormones. It causes them to develop a rash and then explode.
- The Doctor learned how to tackle from William Webb Ellis.
- By 2011, Angela and John have split up. He left her for Miranda Evenden, whom he met in therapy. They are getting married in June. Angela has not decided whether or not she will attend the wedding.
- This story was originally produced as an unofficial Audio Visuals production, with Nicholas Briggs as the Doctor. Briggs provides the voice of a newsreader in the remake.
- Angela Wisher is named as a tribute to the late Michael Wisher, who played Ronald Turvey in the original Audio Visuals version of Cuddlesome. He is best known for originating the role of Davros, the creator of the Daleks, in Genesis of the Daleks.
- The story includes a reference to eBay. The Doctor also makes use of the early 1990s catchphrase "hammer time." At one point, he also insists on driving a woman's car after she has had too much to drink, one of the few occasions since the Fourth Doctor gave up Bessie (TV: Robot) that the Doctor has driven a vehicle.
- Cuddlesome was released on a free CD offered with DWM 393, along with a Director's Cut of Part One of The Mutant Phase. Davison was featured on the cover of the magazine, which included coverage of his appearance in the Time Crash mini-episode.
- This is one of the few Fifth Doctor stories in which there is no companion present.
- The Doctor considers building a new sonic screwdriver after his previous one was destroyed by the Terileptil leader in September 1666. (TV: The Visitation) However, he would not do so until his seventh incarnation. (AUDIO: The Dark Husband, Mask of Tragedy; TV: Doctor Who)