Doctor Who Insider #8 was the December 2011 issue of the short-lived North American Doctor Who Magazine sister title. Like many North American magazines, its cover date was misleading. It was actually made available for purchase a month earlier, on 3 November.
- Christmas is coming!, Goodbye Sarah Jane, Awards and new past Doctor Adventures!
- Arthur Darvill
'Rory's Journey ..' Darren Scott talks to Arthur Darvill about how this year's adventures and revelations have impacted on the life of his alter-ego, Rory Pond.
- Bonnie Langford
'Memories of Melanie' Darren Scott talks Cats, lambs and all things show business with Bonnie Langford who joined as companion Melanie Bush in 1986.
- Mark Gatiss
'Mark of Terror!' Darren Scott talks to Mark Gatiss who wrote this year's creepy Night Terrors
- Mark Eden
“I Was Marco Polo interviewed by Mark Wright
Nexus Point Edit
An examination of an important moment from one of the Doctor's adventures
- An Unearthly Child – ”But it was JUST a telephone box.”
Data File Edit
- The Third Doctor –The man himself, his personal effects, his companions and his regeneration.by Lee Binding
Time Scoop Edit
- DVD Insider
- Audio Insider
- The First Wave Steven Taylor Companion Chronicle audio adventure includes interview with author Simon Guerrier and actor Peter Purves
- Books Insider
- Store Insider
- Wind Up Dalek and TARDIS (from Blew),
- The 'Flesh' Goo Pod (from Character Options / Underground Toys),
- Junk TARDIS Console Playset (from Character Options / Underground Toys),
- T-Shirts (from Ripple Junction)
Fan Zone Edit
- The Recreation Generator (fantastic fan creation feature)
Main team credits Edit
- Editor: John Ainsworth
- Sub-Editor: Mark Oliver
- Designers: Alex Foot, Caroline Dunk
- Head of Production: Mark Irvine
- Managing Editor: Alan O'Keefe
- Managing Director: Mike Riddell
Interesting bits from within Edit
- The Silent Stars Go By is writer Dan Abnett fortieth novel.
- Certain episodes of Doctor Who are available to rent or watch on the official Doctor Who Facebook page “facebook.com/doctorwho”
- The Third Doctor name drops that he's met Mao Tse-Tung, Napoleon, Harry Houdini and Sir Walter Raleigh.
- In Colony in Space the TARDIS lands on Uxarieus, the date is March 2472.
- Susan Jameson was originally cast as sadistic IMC first officer Morgan but the role was instead given to Tony Caunter. Susan later went on to voice the role of Mrs Wibbsey in the Fourth Doctor audio series from AudioGO.
- Simon Guerrier's first pitch for the Companion Chronicles audio The First Wave was Steven Taylor and Oliver Harper in a prison cell waiting to be executed.
- Filming Marco Polo, the actor Mark Eden playing the title character, recalls William Hartnell on a day after being particularly grumpy at rehearsals, arrived the next day with a little posy of flowers for each of the ladies, and a tin of biscuits for the men”.
Further information Edit
- Rory Williams is referred to as 'Rory Pond (assuming he has taken his wife's name).
- This issue had a cover price of $6.99 (US and Canada) with a subscription offering a 10% discount.
- While printed for a North American market Panini UK Ltd did offer readers in the UK the chance to subscribe to this title which was very much seen as a sister-title to their long running Doctor Who Magazine title.
- This issue came with a free double-sided poster featuring the Eleventh Doctor and Rory cover photograph and the Third Doctor from the Data File photo-montage on the reverse (but without the annotated text)
- For the latest on Doctor Who fans can follow BBC AMERICA on Twitter (twitter.com/bbcamerica)