Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Cover date:||14 February 2007|
|Format:||100 pages bound|
Publisher's summary Edit
The cast and crew of Doctor Who tell the real story of its creation ...
For more than 25 years, Doctor Who Magazine has documented the making of this unique television series, interviewing every major player, be they actors, directors, producers, designers, writers ... even monsters!
This Special Edition gathers together the best of these interviews, as the cast and crew themselves recall their part in the history of Doctor Who, making for a frank, forthright, and insightful memoir – in turns funny, poignant, and surprising. To illustrate their story, we have selected hundreds of amazing pictures – iconic images from the BBC archive, alongside less familiar shots from private collections.
This volume – covering a brave new era for the series, as it was broadcast in colour for the first time, and headed in a more serious, grown-up direction – provides a complete primer for newcomers, and a valuable refresher for hardened aficionados. It plots a brilliant assortment of Earth-based sci-fi and Hammer-style gothic horror, unravels the glory years of UNIT, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, and Sarah Jane Smith, chronicles the arrival of Tom Baker, recognised across the world as a quintessential Doctor, and recalls a menagerie of iconic monsters – Autons, Sea Devils, giant maggots and spiders, Sontarans, Zygons, and Davros, creator of the Daleks. Plus, hear the story of how the Master came to be, and how the show delved further than ever before into the legend of the Time Lords ...
Featuring contributions from Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, Philip Hinchcliffe, Robert Holmes, Malcolm Hulke, Terry Nation, Nicholas Courtney, Katy Manning, Elisabeth Sladen, Ian Marter, Michael Wisher and hundreds more – plus an Afterword by actor and writer Mark Gatiss!
- by Mark Gatiss
- Compiled by Benjamin Cook
- Editor: Clayton Hickman
- Deputy Editor: Tom Spilsbury
- Designer: Peri Godbold
- Consultant: Andrew Pixley
- Production: Mark Irvine
- Managing Editor: Alan O'Keefe
- Managing Director: Mike Riddell
Additional details Edit
- This was the fifteenth in a series of quarterly specials given over to a specific Who-related theme.
- The 'In Their Own Words' series of Special Editions, besides being crammed with fully referenced quotes from the magazines' archives, provided fact boxes in a side bar that put the series history into a wider cultural context.
- This standard sized, bound magazine was printed in February 2007 and had a cover price of £5.99 (UK).
- Cover background design by Stuart Manning.
- This issue had the indicia title of Doctor Who Special Edition #15 In Their Own Words: Volume Two: 1970-76
- It was two of six volumes published over three years.