|Cover date:||20 February 2008|
|Format:||100 pages bound|
Publisher's summary Edit
The cast and crew of Doctor Who tell the real story of its creation ...
For almost 30 years, Doctor Who Magazine has documented the making of this unique television series, interviewing every major player, be they actors, directors, producers, designers, writers ... even monsters!
This Special Edition gathers together the best of these interviews as the cast and crew themselves recall their part in the legend of Doctor Who, making for a frank, forthright, and insightful memoir — in turns funny, poignant, provocative, and surprising. To illustrate their story we have selected hundreds of amazing pictures — iconic images from the BBC archives, alongside less familiar shots from private collections.
This volume — covering the colourful exploits of the caring, sharing, cricket-obsessed fifth incarnation of the Doctor, and his tasteless, curly-haired, larger-than-life successor — provides a complete primer for newcomers, and a valuable refresher for hardened aficionados. It plots an assortment of shoot-first-ask-questions later action adventures, chronicles a succession of love-'em-or-loathe-'em TARDIS travellers (in-your-face air hostess Tegan Jovanka, pyjam-clad maths whiz Adric, bosomy botanist Peri, and high-pitched health-freak Mel, amongst others), and unmasks a line-up of weird and wonderful adversaries — Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, the Master, the Rani, the Valeyard, and an unwieldly green-painted panto horse! Plus, find out how Davros got high, how low fandom sunk, and what happened when the BBC axed Doctor Who ...
Featuring contributions from Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, John Nathan-Turner, Eric Saward, Matthew Waterhouse, Sarah Sutton, Janet Fielding, Mark Strickson, Nicola Bryant, Bonnie Langford and many more — plus an Afterword by Dalek writer Robert Shearman!
- Compiled by Benjamin Cook
- Editor: Clayton Hickman
- Assistant Editor: Peter Ware
- Designer: Peri Godbold
- Head of Production: Mark Irvine
- Managing Editor: Alan O'Keefe
- Managing Director: Mike Riddell
Additional details Edit
- This was the eighteenth in a series of quarterly specials given over to a specific Who-related theme.
- This standard sized, bound magazine was printed in February 2008 and had a cover price of £5.99 (UK).
- Cover background design by Stuart Manning.
- This issue had the indicia title of Doctor Who Special Edition #18 In Their Own Words: Volume Four: 1982-86.