Dan Starkey played various Sontaran roles in televised Doctor Who, as well as for audio dramas and the Doctor Who video game The Gunpowder Plot. He has also played other non-Sontaran characters for audio and The Sarah Jane Adventures.
He is best known for playing Strax, an occasional associate of the Doctor's. Besides appearing in episodes, Starkey also appears as Strax in a number of online promotional videos uploaded by the BBC under the title Strax Field Report and has also made public appearances in costume and in character as Strax at venues such as the Doctor Who Experience and the 2013 edition of Doctor Who at the Proms.
Television roles edit
- Commander Skorr and Lieutenant Skree in The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky
- Commander Jask in The End of Time
- Commander Strax in A Good Man Goes to War, The Great Detective, The Snowmen, The Crimson Horror, and The Name of the Doctor
- Plark in The Man Who Never Was
- Commander Skarr and Various Sontarans in The Time of the Doctor
Audio roles edit
- Cravnet in Robophobia
- Lord Zellenger in Hexagora
- Historiographer Osin in The Foe from the Future
- Sheer Jawn in Wirrn Isle
- Kevin Winston and Robomen in Energy of the Daleks
- Jaka in The First Sontarans
- The Sontarans in The Five Companions
- Marshall Stenn and Major Vlaar in Starlight Robbery
- Strang and Hutchins in The King of Sontar
Video game roles edit
Webcast roles edit
- Commander Strax in WC: Vastra Investigates: A Christmas Prequel and The Battle of Demon's Run: Two Days Later
Other appearances (non-canon) edit
- Commander Strax in WC: Strax Field Report series.
- Commander Strax in Doctor Who at the Proms 2013
- Commander Strax in the cinema introduction segment of TV: The Day of the Doctor
- Himself (in Sontaran make-up) in The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot and the 2009 cast and crew music video for "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)".
- To date, his role in The Sarah Jane Adventures is the only time that he has played a non-Sontaran on a Doctor Who-related TV programme.
- Although Big Finish does not have the rights to use characters created for the 2005-present revival series in its own productions, due to the unique nature of the Sontarans, Starkey is able to play characters similar to Strax and his other TV Sontaran roles for the company, just not the exact same Sontarans.
- Internet Movie Database at the