|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Cover by:||Alex Mallinson|
|Release date:||10 November 2012|
|Format:||4 episodes on 4 CDs|
|none||Dark Eyes 2|
|The New Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|To the Death||Dark Eyes 2|
Dark Eyes was a full cast audio anthology released in 2012 by Big Finish Productions. It featured Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor and Ruth Bradley as Molly O'Sullivan. This anthology was the first to advance the Eighth Doctor's story forwards following 2011's To the Death. A younger version of this incarnation appeared in three stories with Mary Shelley in late 2011, nearly a full year before this release.
The cover for this anthology box set featured a new look for the Eighth Doctor whose appearance on the covers of audios and in their in-story description had not majorly diverted from his appearance in the 1996 television movie. The cover features the first new photos of promotional art taken of Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor since 1996, giving Big Finish's cover artists new source material for future releases.
Publisher's summary Edit
"I really hoped it would be a wonderful view... to look back from the end of everything... to see how things finally turned out."
The Doctor is looking for hope. But instead, he finds himself on a mission. The Time Lords have uncovered terrifying fragments of an insane plot to destroy the universe. And somehow, at the centre of that plot is one, random female in Earth's history, Molly O'Sullivan.
Soon, the Doctor and Molly find themselves thrown headlong into a series of dangerous and terrifying adventures, with the dreaded Daleks never far behind them.
- These audio dramas were recorded on 1, 18, 19 and 20 June 2012 at The Moat Studios.
- This incarnation's new look first debuted unofficially at the Armageddon Pop Culture Expo in October 2011; the new sonic screwdriver was designed by Weta, who have previously designed props for the new series. Nicholas Briggs confirmed that the new costume for the Eighth Doctor was officially approved by the BBC in DWM 454. Much of the input in designing the costume came from McGann himself. Although McGann is seen to wear it on the cover to Fugitives, McGann has stated in DWM 454 that the t-shirt and jeans are not intended to be a part of the costume and that it is being developed further.
- Molly O'Sullivan, the companion who is introduced in this story, is name-checked in TV: The Night of the Doctor.
- The cover of DWM 454 promoted this story with the cover line of "Dark Doctor", a rarity for an audio drama.
- The story has won multiple awards such as winning a Paul McGann Big Finish Audio poll on an official BBC Website, and the first part, The Great War, won an Audio Award in the category of Best Online or Non-Broadcast Audio Drama in January 2014.
- This is the only Dark Eyes not to feature Liv Chenka.
- Official Dark Eyes page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Dark Eyes at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide