Wonders was the fifth and final installment in the Virgin Decalogs short story anthology series, which initially began as a compilation of Doctor Who-related stories. By the time this fifth volume was released, Virgin Books no longer had the rights to publish original fiction featuring the Doctor or other BBC-owned characters. As such, nine of its eleven stories have no apparent connection to the Doctor Who universe.
At the time, only exception was The Judgement of Solomon by Lawrence Miles, the first short story to feature former companion Bernice Summerfield for whom Virgin, at the time, had the rights. However, in 2013, various characters from Bibliophage were reused in the Faction Paradox short story All the Fun of the Fear.
After this book came out, BBC Books, now rights holders to original fiction featuring the Doctor, launched Short Trips, a trilogy of short story collections set in the Doctor Who universe; Big Finish Productions later took over publication of this line, whilst Big Finish also launched a series of Bernice Summerfield short story collections and novels.
- The Place of All Places by Nakula Somana
- Poyekhali 3201 by Stephen Baxter
- King's Chambers by Dominic Green
- City of Hammers by Neil Williamson
- Painting the Age with the Beauty of Our Days by Mike O'Driscoll
- The Judgement of Solomon by Lawrence Miles (featuring Bernice Summerfield)
- The Milk of Human Kindness by Liz Sourbut
- Bibliophage by Stephen Marley
- Negative Space by Jeanne Cavelos
- Dome of Whispers by Ian Watson
- Waters of Starlight by Stephen Marley