- You may be looking for the titular concept.
The Vega Station — a haven for gamblers, art lovers and duty-free shoppers, the one place where the Battrulians and their erstwhile enemies, the Canvine, meet and mix, in neutral space. A pressure point, an explosive mixture. And just as the new President of Battrul is about to arrive, the TARDIS crew turn up.
Fitz is in trouble. He's accidentally got himself hired as an assassin while trying to emulate James Bond. And he's upset Bigdog Caruso, the unofficial Canvine leader on Vega.
Sam is in trouble. She's become involved with the key witness to a murder, and the witness has vanished.
The Doctor, meanwhile, has been roped in to help with investigations into robbery, sabotage and the murder, as well as to sort out Fitz's problems, Sam's problems and the President's safety. He's in his element.
And if they should get bored, there's a hitman on the loose, monsters roaming the station corridors, an exhibition of art by a painter who depicted his own death, and the opera.
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Samantha Jones
- Fitz Kreiner
- Newark Rappare
- Ambrose Forster
- Vermilion Kenyan
- Mr and Mrs Antherzon
- President Robyn Drexler
- Harris Stabilo
- Hazard Solarin
- Toulour Martinique
- Tullus Gath
- Henri Blanc
- Bigdog Caruso
- Browning Phillips
- Cassey Cage
The Doctor's items
- The Doctor mentions his everlasting matches.
- Fitz tries to act like James Bond.
Foods and beverages
- The Doctor drinks ginger beer with Sam.
- Fitz drinks several Martinis "shaken not stirred".
- Beer and crisps are eaten predominantly by the Canvines.
- Sam doesn't drink alcohol.
- President Robyn Drexler is president of Battrul.
- Toulour Martinique's painting technique is similar to matter transmission.
- Newark Reppare goes on from this story to appear in the novel Dragons' Wrath, placing this novel and Dragons' Wrath in the same time period.
- This is the first EDA novel to include the Eighth Doctor's face on the cover.
- Vega Station appears in PROSE: Tears of the Oracle, where Irving Braxiatel wins KS-159 in a game of cards, much like James Bond wins his Aston Martin. Fitz imitates Bond in much of this story.
- Newark Reppare also appears in PROSE: Dragons' Wrath.