Divided Loyalties was the twenty-sixth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Fifth Doctor, Adric, Nyssa and Tegan Jovanka. This was the first Past Doctor Adventures novel to feature this line up of Doctor and companions and the first full length novel to do so since 1996's Cold Fusion. This was the first, and as of 2017[update], only full length novel to feature the Celestial Toymaker.
Publisher's summary Edit
There are some evils in the universe that need to be fought. And others that need redeeming...
Many years ago the First Doctor, a student at the Academy on Gallifrey, lost a friend to the mysterious and malevolent force known as the Celestial Toymaker. Now, in his fifth incarnation, the Doctor receives a telepathic call from his long-lost classmate, begging for help.
As he sets out to rescue his friend and exact revenge, the Doctor's companions become increasingly involved. Adric, determined to justify his place aboard the TARDIS, opts to face the Toymaker's game challenges while Nyssa, angered by the Doctor's actions, finds herself excluded by the people she thought were her friends. And what is the connection between the Toymaker and the planet Dymok, whose comatose inhabitants find a new saviour in the shape of Tegan Jovanka?
to be added
- Fifth Doctor
- Tegan Jovanka
- Henry Rugglesthorpe
- Mrs Rugglesthorpe
- Charles Rugglesthorpe
- Elisabeth Jane Rugglesthorpe
- Matt Desorgher
- Sarah Townsend
- Nikos Paladopous
- Gaylord Lefevre
- First Doctor
Foods and beverages Edit
- Adric doesn't know what pizza is.
- While attempting to turn Adric against the Doctor, the Toymaker creates a hallucination of a childhood friend of Adric, who reminds him about some of the things he's run into with the Doctor, including Great Vampires, Tharils, the Master, the Ferutu and Terileptils.
- Runcible threatens to report Magnus and Mortimus to Lord Cardinal Zass.
- In stellar cartography, Sendok asks his pupils for the co-ordinates of Brus, Mollassis and Ava. He also mentions the Alys system
- Rassilon gave the Great Old Ones names. These included Hastur, Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath, Cthulhu, Melefescent, Tor-Gasukk, Lloigor, Gog and Magog, Nyarlathotep, Dagon and Raag, Nah and Rok.
- The Doctor, Rallon and Millennia steal a Type 18 TARDIS. Rallon notes that a Type 35, or a Type 30 Mark III would have been more comfortable.
Time Lords Edit
- The Doctor, while at the Academy on Gallifrey, was one of the Deca, an elite group that included Koschei, Ushas, Drax, the Monk and Magnus.
- In a flashback Vansell, Azmael and Borusa are also seen.
- Two members of the Celestial Intervention Agency travel from the future, who know that Mortimus will cause trouble once he leaves Gallifrey, and that another member of the Deca has a very important destiny. After studying the individuals in the Deca, they find that this individual is the Doctor.
- Each chapter in the book is the title of a song by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.
- The First Doctor, Steven Taylor and Dodo Chaplet previously encountered the Celestial Toymaker during their travels. (TV: The Celestial Toymaker)
- Jelpax was part of the team who foresaw Dalek dominion over all life. (TV:Genesis of the Daleks) This is contradicted by AUDIO: Ascension, in which Narvin orders Valyes to complete this task.
- In Adric's fantasy, Jiana mentions his fights against the vampires, (TV: State of Decay) Tharils, (TV: Warriors' Gate) the Master, (TV: The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis) the Ferutu, (PROSE: Cold Fusion) and the Terileptils. (TV: The Visitation)
- Drax's work for the Black Guardian on Zeos is mentioned, (TV: The Armageddon Factor) as is Koschei and the DarkHeart imbuing him with his hatred for the Doctor. (PROSE: The Dark Path)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Divided Loyalties at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Divided Loyalties