Article of the minute
City of the Daleks
was the first major exploration of Dalek
society, culture and technology. A full-colour, painted comic story published in the wake of the televised serial
, The Daleks
, it featured a single human
sneaking around the Dalek capital city on Skaro
, and was part of the broader narrative arc seen in The Dalek Book
. It also featured the first cross-sectional view of a Dalek — a foldout poster cleverly worked into the narrative of the story as "Anatomy of the Dalek
". Although many of its narrative innovations were not carried through to later Dalek stories, it did feature the debut of the Dalek lie detector
, which would eventually plague Romana II
in Destiny of the Daleks
. Read more... ✍
Don't like this article? Reload the page for another one!
Quote of the minute
- Elizabeth Klein: Schmidt called it "the TARDIS". It meant nothing to me. I'd never heard that name until I met you. How on Earth could Schmidt know it?
- Seventh Doctor:: The memory cheats. Perhaps your memory is playing tricks with you. I used to think Professor X was better in the sixties until I went back and watched it again. even Vault of the Cyborgs.
- Klein: No, I know what I heard. He definitely said, "TARDIS".
- Seventh Doctor: Anyway it's all in the past now. Well, a version of the past. Your past, to be more precise.
- Klein: How could Schmidt have known? Yet another thing to haunt me the rest of my life. I can't let it go. Somehow, I just know that it's important. I can feel it.
- AUDIO: Klein's Story
Don't like this quote? Reload the page to get a different one! ✍
- The original cast of Doctor Who with producer Verity Lambert
- The Eleventh Doctor examines the blue grass
- Eldrad must live
- Jeff Stone, Dalek fighter
- The Sixth Doctor: not a fan of carrot juice or exercise
- Harry and Sarah on Voga.
- Tenth Doctor companion, Majenta Pryce
- The Second Doctor shows his Scottish side
- Dr. Grace Holloway, incredulous at the Doctor's x-rays
- Rani Chandra in later life
- Ben gets a massage
- Eight likes his new body
- One form of Prisoner Zero
- Longtime classic series director, Christopher Barry
- Mid-1980s Doctor Who composer, Dominic Glynn
- Bannerman Road
- Late in the season, Mr. Davison?
- Licence to Kill Spit
- Seventh Doctor companion, Ly-Chee the Wise
- The Borg: not just for Star Trek anymore
- The Sydney Harbour Bridge goes boom
- Cricket stumps
- Long-serving director of photography, Ernie Vincze, BSC
- Elliot Northover under Homo Reptilian observation
- Impossible Planet writer, Matt Jones
- Frobisher in the dark
- Eyepatch! Eyepatch, I tell you!
- The Fifth Doctor and Erimem
- Urak, leader of the Rani's Tetraps
- The eye of Donna
- "Harry Sullivan is an imbecile!"
- Mel screams at Paradise Towers
- Lucy Cartwright after her possession by the Family of Blood
- Six in the TARDIS
- The Doctor and Lady Christina de Souza in the deserts of San Helios
- Cinematographer Mark Waters
- Seven and Ace
- The Master roars after his resurrection
- The Tharil, Biroc
- Gwen and Ianto fire at a Dalek
- Jo before she was a Jones
- A fiery Chalderan
- The Unicorn, the Wasp, and Agatha Christie
- Longtime production manager and producer, Tracie Simpson
- The curious trio of the Doctor, K9 and Adric
- The doomed Katarina
- Klepton, anyone?
- The Third Doctor levels his sonic screwdriver
- The Fifth Doctor stumbles on Androzani Minor
- A menacing Eye of Oblivion
- Suranne Jones: not just a pretty TARDIS
- The Celestial Toymaker has the upper hand
- Late-Tom Baker-era costumer, June Hudson
- Jo screws up the courage to see an alien world
- TV writer and influential Doctor Who Magazine editor, Clayton Hickman
- Tuar, a resident of Metebelis III
- Melanie Bush, temporal paradox
- Jorjie Turner in her VR glasses
- The Beige Guardian comes to a sticky end
- Breaking news from Trinity Wells . . .
- Grandfather and granddaughter
- The New Mexican desert in the 1940s
- Doctor Who vocalist, Melanie Pappenheim
- Zoe is concerned that they might be in real trouble this time
- The tenth Doctor and Jack Harkness in Martha Jones' flat
- Mrs Wormwood awaits her enemies
- Dennis Spooner, writer and story editor for the first Doctor
- The seventh Doctor enjoys a jelly baby
- Barbara and the Doctor: not always in agreement
- Ealing Studios, where much model and 35mm work was done
- A miner on the planet Peladon
- The Master hovers ominously behind the third Doctor
- Mike Kelt oversaw the 35mm model shot that opened The Trial of a Time Lord
- War Lord.jpg The War Lord is sentenced by the Time Lords
- Jo Grant's husband, Prof. Clifford Jones
- The fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane in the catacombs of San Martino
- Ashley Way has directed episodes of TV, TV and Torchwood
- Wilfred Mott saluting the Doctor at his granddaughter's wedding.
- Ruth Ingram
- Two members of the Slitheen family
- Toshiko Sato faces her mortality
- David Tennant's exclusive costume designer, Louise Page
- Stetsons are cool . . .
- An undercover Brigadier
- Maria enters the strange world of Sarah Jane Smith
- The Bard himself
- The Second Doctor takes a look
- Sarah Jane's original "gang"
- Anita waits for Oscar Botcherby to be more interested in her than moths
- Professor Edward Travers menaced again by the Robot Yeti
- Ian and Barbara safe in London
- "That LINDA lot"
- An Inter Minorian
- Maria's long-suffering dad.
- A Vervoid takes a good look at Kimber aboard the Hyperion III
- Executive producer, Julie Gardner, dons a hardhat
- A deadly Drashig
- The "wet vet"
- Sunset over New New York
- The often-incredulous Chrissie Jackson
- Cully, the son of the leader on the planet Dulkis
- The older Billy Shipton
- Amy in the Pandorica.
- Jamie and Victoria caught in a Himalayan cave
- Lorraine Heggessey helped bring Doctor Who back to BBC One
- Ace faces her coulrophobia
- The runaway bride
- Gia Kelly, a manager of the T-Mat system
- Andrew Cartmel, the seventh Doctor's script editor
- Doctor Who's first location shot, from The Reign of Terror
- Beep the Meep crashes into Television Centre
- Nyssa of Traken
- Polly Wright at Gatwick Airport
- Nettie Williams dying, after having her breath stolen
- The eighth Doctor stumbles around Walker General Hospital
- The fifth Doctor concentrates on the Great Crystal
- Romana's mind overloads
- Ambassador Alpha Centauri on Peladon
- Five Doctors unite
- Amelia Rumford in a cellar
- Elizabeth I, apparent wife of the Tenth Doctor
- Mr Quill, whilst controlled by the weed creature
- An unimpressed ninth Doctor
- The Trickster
- This character, Rebec, was named after Terry Nation's daughter
- The second Doctor squares off against Tobias Vaughn
- The young Amelia Pond in a fez
- Civil servant, John Frobisher, knows more about the 456 than he's telling
- Welcome to Torchwood
- On the job training at Torchwood
- The consequences of on the job training at Torchwood
- They're not breasts, okay?
- Zoe Heriot
- Turlough holds Enlightenment
- The TARDIS caught in a spiral nebula
- Amy's Choice scribe, Simon Nye
- Khrisong, a leader at he Det-Sen Monastery
- Jackie talking to Rose via the superphone
- The Petrolions, wasting oil as usual
- Director Jonny Campbell enthuses about his series 5 work
- Babs takes no prisoners
- Karen Gillan in Utah
- Ten in a tux
- The second Doctor and Ben on the planet Vulcan
- Gita Chandra, Rani's mum
- Nine snaps at Adam
Do you know your assistant directors? Sure, you might be able to rattle off directors — but how's your knowledge of the people who are really on the front lines of Doctor Who production. Read more about the working class stiffs who go by the enigmatic titles of 1st AD, 2nd AD and 3rd AD.
Come back next week for another list of fast facts! ✍