Beginning with this release and continuing for the remainder of the novelisation series, there was a concerted effort made by Target Books to commission the original teleplay writers to novelise their own scripts whenever possible (with Terrance Dicks serving as a backup writer if this wasn't possible). Although Fisher was a recent contributor to the series, this notion would later extend to include writers of episodes dating back to the 1960s.
Publisher's summary Edit
The planet Chloris is very fertile, but metal is in short supply, and has therefore become extremely valuable.
A huge creature, with most unusual physical properties, arrives from an alien planet which can provide Chloris with metal from its own unlimited supplies, in exchange for chlorophyll.
However, the ruthless Lady Adrasta has been able to exploit the shortages of metal to her own advantage, and has no wish to see the situation change.
The action the aliens decide to take will have devastating consequences for Chloris, unless something is done to prevent it...
Chapter titles Edit
- The Pit
- The Doctor's Leap to Death
- The Creature
- The Web
- The Meeting
- The Shield
- Wrapping Up
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Cutaway scenes explain Chloris from the perspective of the ex-miners-turned-bandits.
- Adrasta's first meeting with Erato is featured.
- The novelisation details how Tythonians have sex.
- How Erato gets out of the pit is elaborated on.
- A different explanation is given for how K9 destroys the metal.
- The book ends with a lucky number gag as opposed to not the last scene on Chloris.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- The novelisation uses footnotes as a device.
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
The audio set of four CDs with an ISBN 1-405-? was released in April 2008 priced £13.99 (UK)
The audiobook was broadcast on BBC Radio 7, serialised into seven parts, between 27th-30th April and 3rd-5th May 2010.