a real world point of view
|Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks|
Captain Mike Yates
|Main enemy:||The Daleks|
|Main setting:||22nd century|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen & Co (UK)|
Pinnacle Books (US)
|Release number:||18 (given to later editions) (Target)|
|Release date:||April 1974 (paperback)|
August 1981 (hardcover)
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions, 140 Pages|
|Doctor Who and the Dæmons||Doctor Who and the Curse of Peladon|
- This novelisation is based on the original television serial TV: Day of the Daleks, written by Louis Marks and shown from 1 January 1972.
- The cover and information on the right are for the original Target edition. It features the artwork of Chris Achilleos. (See below for information on editions with different covers).
- In 1979, this book was chosen as the inaugural release of the first (and to date only) American-published series of Doctor Who novels by Pinnacle Books. Over the next few years, ten novelisations would be republished in the US, each with an introduction by Harlan Ellison.
- A hardcover edition wasn't published until 1981.
Publisher's summary Edit
1974 edition Edit
Mysterious humans from 22nd-century Earth `time-jump’ back into the 20th century so as to assassinate a high-ranking diplomat on whom the peace of the world depends. DOCTOR WHO, Jo Grant and the Brigadier are soon called in to investigate. Jo is accidentally transported forward to the 22nd century; the Doctor follows, eventually to be captured by his oldest and deadliest enemy – the DALEKS! Having submitted the Doctor to the fearful Mind Analysis Machine, the DALEKS plan a `time-jump’ attack on Earth in the 20th century! ...
Chapter Titles Edit
1. Terror in the Twenty-Second Century
2. The Man Who Saw a Ghost
3. The Vanishing Guerilla
4. The Host Hunters
5. Condemned to Death!
6. Prisoner of the Daleks
7. Attack of the Ogrons
8. A Fugitive in the Future
9. Escape from the Ogrons
10. Interrogation by the Daleks
11. The Raid on Dalek Headquarters
12. Return to Danger
13. The Day of the Daleks
14. All Kinds of Futures
Deviations from televised story Edit
To be added
Writing and publishing notes Edit
To be added
- This title contain ten illustrated pages by Chris Achilleos.
- Reprints after 1980 no longer contain the illustrations.
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
To be added
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
- Target Block Logo / Orange lettering for title
- 60p (UK) Diamond-based Logo / brown lettering for title
- 1982 Target Books with a new cover by Andrew Skilleter priced (UK)
- 1991 Virgin Publishing with a new cover by Alister Pearson priced (UK)
Editions published outside UK Edit
Outside UK illustrations Edit
See also Edit
- On Target - A comprehensive guide to Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks
- Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks on the Doctor Who Collectors Wiki