Publisher's summary Edit
1979 edition Edit
The Daleks are excavating in order to find and revive Davros, the mad, crippled, scientific genius who first created them. They hope that he will give them the scientific superiority to break the deadlock with their Movellan enemies.
Faced once more with the deadly and seemingly indestructible Daleks, the Doctor's wits and strength are stretched to their very limits ...
Chapter titles Edit
- The Dead City
- Underground Evil
- The Daleks
- The Movellans
- Slaves of the Daleks
- The Secret of the Daleks
- The Prisoner
- The Hostages
- The Bait
- Suicide Squad
Deviations from televised story Edit
- The novel maintains the original script idea to have all the action on Skaro take place at night, shrouded by darkness.
- During the Doctor's escape from the Dalek command centre, the Daleks use hoverbouts to chase him.
- Tyssan tries to bully the Doctor and Romana into going with the prisoners to put Davros on trial.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- This novelisation was intended for release simultaneously with the TV transmission (hence the novel being written from the script version of the story). It appeared two months after.
- This was the first novelisation to feature the character of Romana.The novels adapting the Key to Time arc, in which she debuted, were not published until after.
- The back cover blurb was rewritten because it originally identified the Movellans as robots.
- This was the first novel with a cover illustration by Andrew Skilleter. There was no visual reference available to the illustrator, who had to conduct his own research using the BBC Picture Publicity Library, before appealing to fans and Doctor Who Magazine.
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
Editions published outside Britain Edit
- Published in Germany in 1990 by Goldmann Verlag.