|Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon|
|Based on:||Colony in Space|
|Main setting:||Earth Colony, 2471|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen, Pinnacle Books|
|Read by:||Geoffrey Beevers|
|Cover by:||Chris Achilleos|
|Release date:||27 March 1974|
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions; 21 Chapters, 166 Pages|
|Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos||Doctor Who and the Dæmons|
Publisher's summary Edit
1974 edition Edit
The Time Lords direct DOCTOR WHO and Jo Grant in TARDIS to a bleak planet in the year 2471 where they find colonists from Earth under threat from mysterious, savage, monster lizards with frightful claws! And hidden upon this planet is the DOOMSDAY WEAPON for which the MASTER is intently searching ...
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Both Jo Grant and the Master are given new introductions, with Grant in particular described as joining the Doctor for the first time, despite several earlier stories featuring her. As one of the first releases in the Target Books series, there was no expectation that all stories would eventually be adapted. Once the earlier stories had been novelised, no attempt was made at revising The Doomsday Weapon, creating a continuity hiccough for those reading the novelisations in chronological order.
- The concrete Earth that the colonists had left is expanded upon - there are people with blue hair, moving pavements, metric units, lifts that took the people in the underground for sunshine treats or walk treats and folk tales of Drahvins, Monoids, Daleks and Silurians.
- It is described how the colonists met back on earth.
- IMC's robot is humanoid and named Charlie.
- The Keeper of the Time Lord files retells the story of TV: The War Games.
- The Doctor organises a funeral for the Leesons.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- The 1979 edition by Pinnacle Books in the US included an introduction by Harlan Ellison.
- The first edition Target cover was the first to feature the Master.
Chapter Titles Edit
- A Missing Secret
- Into Time and Space
- The Planet
- The Monster
- The Survivor
- The Robot
- The Men from IMC
- The Spy
- The Claw
- The Bomb
- The Attack
- The Adjudicator
- Primitive City
- The Ambush
- Captain Dent Thinks Twice
- The Master's TARDIS
- The Return of Captain Dent
- The Doomsday Weapon
- Mission Completed
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
- 1979 Target Books with a new cover by Jeff Cummins priced 75p (UK)
Editions published outside Britain Edit
The audio set of 4 CDs with an ISBN 1-4056-7795-3 was released in September 2007 priced £13.99 (UK)