a real world point of view
|Doctor Who and the Genesis of the Daleks|
|Companion(s):||Sarah Jane Smith|
|Main enemy:||The Daleks|
|Main setting:||Skaro, the 15th century|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen & Co|
|Release number:||27 (given to later editions)|
|Release date:||July 1976|
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions, 140 Pages|
|Doctor Who and the Sontaran Experiment||The Revenge of the Cybermen|
- This novelisation is based on the original television serial (TV): Genesis of the Daleks, written by Terry Nation and shown from 8 March 1975.
- The cover and information on the right are for the original Target edition. It featured the artwork of Chris Achilleos. (See below for information on editions with different covers).
Publisher's summary Edit
1976 edition Edit
The place: Skaro
Time: The Birth of the Daleks
After a thousand years of futile war against the Thals, DAVROS has perfected the physical form that will carry his race into eternity – the dreaded DALEK. Without feeling, conscience or pity, the Dalek is programmed to EXTERMINATE.
At the command of the Time Lords, DOCTOR WHO travels back through time in an effort to totally destroy this terrible menace of the future.
But even the Doctor cannot always win …
Deviations from televised story Edit
- In the televised story, the Doctor and Harry are captured when the Kaleds gun down their Thal assailants. However, the novel explicitly states that no shots were fired; rather, the Thals and Kaleds engaged in hand-to-hand combat.
- In the televised story, Nyder is ordered by Davros to shut off the production line. In the book, he decides to of his own accord.
- In the book, the muto that tried to kill Sarah tries to escape by climbing up a wall. Nothing of the sort happened in the episode.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- The inside page includes the comment: "THE CHANGING FACE OF DOCTOR WHO. The cover illustration of this book portrays the fourth DOCTOR WHO"
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
To be added
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
- Re-issued 1991 with new cover art by Alister Pearson
Editions published outside Britain Edit
- Reprinted, with added illustrations, in the 1976 collection Doctor Who and the Daleks Omnibus issued by St. Martins Press.
See also Edit