Publisher's summary Edit
A mysterious cloud drifts menacingly through space...
A sudden energy flash and the Fourth Doctor is infected with the Nucleus of a malignant Virus that threatens to destroy his mind.
Meanwhile, on Titan, human slaves prepare the Hive from which the Virus will swarm out and infect the universe.
In search of a cure, Leela takes the Doctor to the Foundation where they make an incredible journey into the Doctor's brain in an attempt to destroy the Nucleus.
But can the Doctor free himself from the Nucleus in time to reach Titan and destroy the Hive? Luckily he has help – in the strangely dog-like shape of a mobile computer called K9 ...
Chapter titles Edit
- The Host
- Death Sentence
- The Clones
- Mind Hunt
- The Antidote
- The Hive
Deviations from televised story Edit
- What happens to the antibodies is expanded upon.
- Leela can fly the TARDIS despite not having seen the white console room before.
- A deleted scene where the Nucleus tries to reinfect the Doctor to no avail is reinstated.
- Leela's knife hits Meeker in the chest rather than the back.
- The Doctor feigns unconsciousness before trying to shoot Leela instead of hiding around the corner.
- There are scenes onboard the Bi-Al Foundation supply shuttle, showing the crew being infected before crashing into the asteroid.
- Lowe infects more of the hospital personnel than is seen on screen, having a small army during his second assault on the isolation room rather than simply himself and three others.
- The nurses are described as wearing robes, rather than the tight-fitting trouser suits seen on screen.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- to be added
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
- Scheduled for a new edition in July 1994, but the release was cancelled.