a real world point of view
|Doctor Who and the Planet of the Daleks|
|Main enemy:||The Daleks|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen & Co|
|Release number:||46 (given to later editions)|
|Release date:||September 1976 (hardcover)|
October 1976 (paperback)
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions, --- Pages|
|Doctor Who and the Space War||Doctor Who and the Green Death|
- This novelisation is based on the original television serial TV: Planet of the Daleks, written by Terry Nation and shown from 7 April 1973.
- The cover and information on the right are for the original Target edition. It features the artwork of Chris Achilleos. (See below for information on editions with different covers).
Publisher's summary Edit
1976 edition Edit
Jo peered through the panel and saw nothing. Yet someone had entered the cabin. She could hear hoarse breathing and stealthy padding footsteps. A beaker rose in the air of its own accord, then dropped to the floor … THE INVISIBLE ENEMY
After pursuing the DALEKS through Space, DOCTOR WHO lands on the Planet of Spiridon, in the midst of a tropical jungle … and finds more than Daleks. Vicious plants spitting deadly poison, invisible Spiridons attacking from all sides and, in hiding, a vast army, waits … for the moment to mobilise and CONQUER.
Deviations from televised story Edit
to be added
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- An unused and unfinished piece of cover artwork for this title by Roy Knipe was later finished and and sold privately in the ealy 2000’s.
- Title page includes: THE CHANGING FACE OF DOCTOR WHO. The cover illustration of this book portrays the third DOCTOR WHO whose physical appearance was altered by the Time Lords when they banished him to planet Earth in the Twentieth Century.
To be added
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
To be added
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
- 60p (UK)
- 1992 Virgin Publishing with a new cover by Alister Pearson priced £2.99 (UK)
Editions published outside Britain Edit
- Reprinted, with added illustrations, in the 1976 collection Doctor Who and the Daleks Omnibus issued by St. Martins Press.
- Published in Germany by Schneider-Buch in 1980 as Dr. Who Der Planet der Daleks.
Audio Book Edit
In June 1995, BBC Audio released an abridged audio book version of the novel, read by Jon Pertwee.
See also Edit