Tegan, the young air hostess who quite unintentionally became a member of the TARDIS's crew, wants to return to her own time, but when the Doctor tries to take her back to Heathrow Airport in the twentieth century the TARDIS lands instead on the outskirts of seventeenth-century London.
The Doctor and his companions receive a decidedly cool welcome - and it soon becomes clear that the sinister activities of other visitors from space and time have made the villagers extremely sensitive of outsiders.
And as a result of the aliens' evil schemes, the Doctor finds himself on the point of playing a key role in a gruesome historical event.
Deviations from televised story
- The Doctor realises who the Terileptils are because they left their tag on their escape capsule; this was not explained in the televised story.
- The Squire is named Sir John.
- Elizabeth is in her room when she spots the Terileptil spacecraft crashing.
- Tegan's references to the events of Kinda while in her room are removed.
Writing and publishing notes
- The first book in the range to feature the use of a photographic cover.
- This was the first title to be referred to in the Target library as book number 74. The number appeared on the cover on a subsequent reprint.
- Dedication: `For Paula, with fondest love'
- Cover Flash reads `A BBC TV PROGRAMME WITH PETER DAVISON AS THE DOCTOR'
Additional cover images
British publication history
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
The audio set of four CDs was released in October 2012 priced £13.99 (UK)