Dream a Little Dream for Me was a Brief Encounter short story published in the Doctor Who Yearbook 1993. It was one of the many stories to illustrate real-world Doctor Who stories being written within the universe, as Zoe begins typing The Dominators Episode 1.
Publisher's summary Edit
The Second Doctor revives a sleeping Zoe after twenty-five years — and Zoe has had the most peculiar dreams. A new story by Nigel Robinson, the author of the Doctor Who: The New Adventures novel Apocalypse. Illustration by Paul Vyse.
- The Second Doctor claims to have never heard of the Time Lords, though Zoe thinks he's being enigmatic.
- He says he visited Dulkis with Ben Jackson and Polly Wright.
- He linked Zoe's mind to the telepathic circuits to give her a foretaste of what might happen if she travelled with him and Jamie, but she and the TARDIS were "incompatible," so her untrained mind shut itself off.
- The Second Doctor tells Zoe that Jamie left the TARDIS shortly after she fell into a coma, and is raising sheep in Yorkshire.
- Zoe has been in a coma for twenty-three years, looked after by Dastari and his assistants, including Nurse Zodin, on a space station. The Doctor has visited her on and off, waiting for her to wake up. Now that she has, he plans to take the TARDIS out of storage so they can resume their travels.
- Zoe knows Dastari was killed by the Sontarans. The Doctor asks how she knows about them, and she supposes Jamie told her before the Time Lords wiped her memory.
- The Doctor tells Zoe she only dreamed everything she remembers, and theorises that the TARDIS opened up the creative, emotional side of her mind more than she realised.
- The Doctor admits he had a similar dream about Dastari, one of several odd dreams he's had lately, where he meets strange misfits pretending to meet him.
- Zoe says the TARDIS is not the "most logical of creations."
- The Doctor leaves to get the TARDIS, saying the space station is in a financial mess, and he wouldn't be surprised if they haven't "auctioned it off by now."
- A stranger quotes "Which dreamed it?" and from his first-edition copy of Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There.
- The stranger claims the Second Doctor gets a little confused sometimes, "all that messing around with the time lines."
- There is an antiquated typewriter on a desk in Zoe's room.
- The stranger tells Zoe to try writing down everything she remembers, as it usually helps, since that's what Carl Gustav told him.
- He mentions that his young friend just discovered the station's chemistry lab, and must find her before she "blows [them] all up."
- With desperation, the stranger says "You will write down all you remember, all your dreams, won't you? There's a lot of us depending on you, you know..." and Zoe promises she will.
- The illustration depicts several creatures Zoe never encountered, including a Silurian, the K1 robot, a Sontaran, and a Sea Devil. Based on that, how she already knows about Sontarans and other memories she wasn't present for, and how the last dream she has is of someone telling her "we've got work to do," it's implied Zoe dreamed of the entire original series run of Doctor Who, up to Survival.
- This story is set on a space station, which could be the Wheel where Zoe lived since she entered a coma immediately after her first adventure with the Doctor (2102 being twenty-three years after that story takes place, which is in 2079), or because she's being looked after by Dastari, she could be on Space Station Camera.
- The last thing Zoe dreams about before waking up is someone saying "The tea's getting cold. C'mon, Zoe, we've got work to do!" (TV: Survival)
- Zoe remembers her adventures with the Doctor, including being shown the Daleks, (TV: The Wheel in Space) landing on Dulkis, the Quarks, (TV: The Dominators) meeting Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, though the Doctor corrects her as "Colonel," (TV: The Web of Fear), encountering the Krotons, (TV: The Krotons), Tobias Vaughn, (TV: The Invasion), the space pirates, (TV: The Space Pirates) the War Lord, and the Time Lords erasing her memory. (TV: The War Games)
- The Second Doctor linked Zoe's mind to the TARDIS after encountering the Cybermen on the Wheel. (TV: The Wheel in Space)
- He recalls a particularly annoying man with white hair and a frilly shirt, stranded on Gallifrey. (TV: The Five Doctors) He asks Zoe if she's ever heard of it, and she guesses it's a place in Ireland, remembering a toothy, curly-haired man with a long scarf saying it in her dreams. (TV: The Hand of Fear)
- Zoe remembers K9 saying the TARDIS is "a very stupid machine." (TV: The Invasion of Time)
- The Doctor and Zoe both dreamed about Dastari being killed by Sontarans. (TV: The Two Doctors)
- The Doctor mentions Zodin. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- He offers to take Zoe where "the seas are asleep, the sands are singing and people are made of smoke," and she remembers someone else saying that. (TV: Survival)
- Zoe begins typing her first story, and comes up with the title: "The Dominators - Episode 1." (TV: The Dominators)
- When the Sixth Doctor met Zoe in the Land of Fiction, she had become Mistress of the Land, and had written several stories based on her adventures with the Doctor. (AUDIO: Legend of the Cybermen)