|Dreams of Empire|
|Main enemy:||General Cruger|
|Release date:||3 August 1998|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 16 Chapters, 288 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|Zeta Major||Last Man Running|
Dreams of Empire was the fourteenth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Second Doctor, Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Waterfield. This was the first novel since Virgin Publishing's The Dark Path to feature this combination of Doctor and companions.
Publisher's summary Edit
1998 BBC Books edition Edit
The history books were clear: the once-proud Haddron Empire, fatally weakened by civil war, was finally brought to its knees by a catastrophic explosion. But, then again, history books can lie...
Landing in what seems to be a medieval castle, the Doctor and his friends discover that the final act of a drama that has torn apart a stellar empire is being played out around them.
Who is the man behind the mask, and how are his chess games linked to life and death in his fortress prison? What is the secret of the suits of armour which line the banqueting hall? Who is on the battle cruiser that is getting closer all the time, and what will they want when they finally arrive?
The pieces are all in place, and the TARDIS crew soon find themselves under siege. With both deadly robot troops and human traitors to defeat, it seems the future of the entire empire hangs in the balance...
2013 BBC Books edition Edit
On a barren asteroid, the once-mighty Haddron Empire is on the brink of collapse, torn apart by civil war. The one man who might have saved it languishes in prison, his enemies planning his death and his friends plotting his escape. The Second Doctor arrives as the last act of this deadly drama is being played out – and with both terrifying killers and cunning traitors to defeat, the future hangs in the balance.
to be added
- Second Doctor
- Jamie McCrimmon
- Victoria Waterfield
- Hans Kesar
- Consul Milton Trayx
- Gerhart Rutger
- Senator Mathesohn
- General Cruger
- Helena Trayx
- Jamie McCrimmon has a nightmare which includes being chased by Daleks and Cyberman and being strangled by a Yeti.
- The Knights in this story are actually robots, called VETACs.
- General Cruger has a chess set representing the conflict of the Haddron Empire/Republic.
- The major chapters were named after the game phases of Chess, e.g. Beginning game, Middle game, End game.
- This book was reprinted on 7 March 2013 with a new cover, to celebrate the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary.
- Toberman (TV: The Tomb of the Cybermen) and Kemel (TV: The Evil of the Daleks) are mentioned.
- The Doctor uses his new sonic screwdriver, which he had previously resolved to create. (PROSE: The Murder Game)
- The wooden doors have Duralinium inside them (TV: The Monster of Peladon, Colony in Space)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Dreams of Empire at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Dreams of Empire