Dust Breeding was the twenty-first monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions, published in 2001. It featured the Seventh Doctor and Ace. It also debuted in audio form the Master voiced by Geoffrey Beevers who had last played the role in The Keeper of Traken in 1981.
Publisher's summary Edit
Why is there a colony of artists on a planet that is little more than a glorified garage? What is the event that the passengers of the huge, opulent pleasure cruiser 'Gallery' are hoping to see? And what is hidden in the crates that litter the cargo hold?
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Bev Tarrant - Louise Falkner
- Mr Seta - Geoffrey Beevers
- Madame Salvadori - Caroline John
- Klemp - Mark Donovan
- Guthrie - Ian Ricketts
- Damien Pierson - Johnson Willis
- Jay Binks - Gary Russell
- Albert Bootle - Alistair Lock
- Maggie - Jane Goddard
- Skredsvig - Jez Fielder
- The Krill - Gareth Jenkins
- Lift Computer - Jacqueline Rayner
- Museum Announcer - Mark Wyman
- This was the audio debut for Geoffrey Beevers as the Master, which also marked the first appearance of the character in an audio drama.
- An illustrated preview for this story featured DWM 306 illustrated by Lee Sullivan.
- This audio drama was recorded on 31 March and 21 and 22 April 2001.
- The first two editions of aHistory dated this story to circa 4260, but the third edition redates it to circa 5257 in keeping with the redating of The Genocide Machine.
- Andy Hardwick's score to the story, alongside the scores to The Rapture and Bang-Bang-a-Boom! was released on the CD Music from the Seventh Doctor Audio Adventures.
- Big Finish Productions had invited Anthony Ainley to reprise his role of the Master, but were unable to reach a suitable deal with him. The Tremas Master was thus written out by having the Warp Core strip the Master of his previous body, leaving behind his previous emaciated form — thus allowing Geoffrey Beevers to take over the role.
- The Krill previously appeared in PROSE: Storm Harvest.
- Bev Tarrant last appeared in AUDIO: The Genocide Machine and would later go on to appear in the Big Finish Productions Bernice Summerfield series.
- The Doctor would encounter this incarnation of the Master once again on Perfugium in the far future. At that time, the Master believed himself to be a surgeon named "Doctor John Smith." (AUDIO: Master)
- In his art gallery, the Doctor has a copy of the Mona Lisa. He tells Ace the one in the Louvre has "This is a fake" written in felt tip. It is implied that the Doctor has the original. (TV: City of Death)
- Official Dust Breeding page at bigfinish.com; note that it is out of print and is available as download only.
- DisContinuity for Dust Breeding at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide