Evelyn Smythe, having left with the Sixth Doctor in the year 2000, had "foreknowledge" of 1990s EastEnders episodes, and made a bit of cash off this, betting for the correct outcome. (PROSE: Instruments of Darkness)
EastEnders was noted for its depressing festive specials. The Tenth Doctor believed the phrase, "This is going to be the best Christmas Walford has ever had" was among the unluckiest sentences that one could utter. (TV: The Impossible Planet)
In the summer of 2007, with the new "ghost" craze sweeping the planet, one of the killed-off characters, Den Watts, was brought back to the show in ghost form, using one of the ghosts which materialised during that period. The Tenth Doctor flicked through this episode of EastEnders along with Ghostwatch and Trisha Goddard, while investigating the new phenomenon at Jackie Tyler's flat. The ghosts were later revealed as a new form of Cyberman. (TV: Army of Ghosts)
During the Twelfth Doctor's imprisonment in the Prison, Clara Oswald taught Class 2A's art class. She asked the students to paint a placard with the slogan "SAVE THE DOCTOR" but instead, they got confused and began to paint "SAVE DOT COTTON". Clara explained to the Governor that Dot Cotton was a "famous Cockney chimney". (PROSE: The Blood Cell)
Behind the scenes Edit
- Tony Holland, who played the Third Assistant in The Savages, and Julia Smith, who directed The Smugglers and The Underwater Menace, were the co-creators of EastEnders.
Crossovers with Doctor Who Edit
- Though other stories portray EastEnders as a television soap, the Brief Encounter story Mistaken Identity by Gary Russell and the Doctor Who mini-episode Dimensions in Time cross over EastEnders with the Doctor Who universe. A line in First Frontier dismissed that adventure as a dream.
- The comic adventure Happy Deathday seems to take place, in part, in the EastEnders universe. This is later revealed to be a video game being played aboard the Doctor's TARDIS.
- In the comic Tooth and Claw, the Eighth Doctor refers to "Albert Square", the location of the series (although he might have meant another Albert Square).
- The National Television Awards Sketch 2011 and Sprout Boy meets a Galaxy of Stars are also crossovers with the series.