Echoes of Future Past was a Brief Encounter short story published in DWM 181. It tries to explain the First Doctor's involvement with the Hand of a Omega as a gambit by the Seventh Doctor, creating an ontological paradox.
- Susan is mentioned.
- A TARDIS will assault the mind of anyone but its owner and his familiars. The Doctor's TARDIS did this to the Doctor when he stole it, resulting in memory loss.
- This story contradicts the comic story Time & Time Again and the novel Lungbarrow, both of which state that the Doctor took the Hand of Omega with him when he left Gallifrey.
- The First Doctor is suffering from memory loss, which he also does in PROSE: Time and Relative, although for a different reason.
- The First Doctor and the Seventh Doctor meet again in COMIC: Time & Time Again.
- The Seventh Doctor states that he was once a pioneer among his own people. (TV: The Daleks)