Publisher's summary Edit
"Love! Surely one of the most destructive forces in the universe. There's nothing a man — or woman — won't do for true love."
1812. The Vishenkov household, along with the rest of Moscow, faces the advance of Napoleon Bonaparte. At its heart is the radiant Dusha, a source of strength and inspiration — and more besides — for them all. Captain Victor Padorin, heroic Hussar and family friend, meanwhile, acts like a man possessed — by the Devil.
2024. Fitz is under interrogation regarding a burglary and fire at the Kremlin. The Doctor has disappeared in the flames. Colonel Bugayev is investigating a spate of antique thefts, centred in Moscow, on top of which he now has a time-travel mystery to unravel.
5000. Lord General Razum Kinzhal is preparing to set in motion the closing stages of a world war. More than the enemy, his fellow generals of the Icelandic Alliance fear what such a man might do in peacetime. What can possibly bridge these disparate events in time? Love will find a way. But the Doctor must find a better alternative. Before love sets the world on fire.
to be added
- The Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Colonel Grigoriy Bugayev
- Captain Zhelnin
- Razum Kinzhal
- Aphrodite Diamante
- Harald Skoglund
- Vladimir Garudin
- Alexander Vishenkov
- Irena Vishenkov
- Natasha Vishenkov
- Yuri Vishenkov
- Angel Malenkaya
- Gren de Schalles
- Karsen Mogushestvo
- Kel Vorman
- Olrik Sund
- Victor Padorin
- Magnus Greel was a Chinese national member of the PacBloc regime.
- The Icelandic Alliance and Pacbloc are at war.
- The Russian Division of UNIT is called Operativnaya Gruppa Rasvedkoy Obyedinyonnih Natsiy, or OGRON for short.
- There is mention of Zygma energy.
to be added
- The First Doctor and his companions Steven Taylor and Dodo Chaplet previously visited Russia in 1812 during Napoléon Bonaparte, (AUDIO: Mother Russia) as did Iris Wildthyme. (AUDIO: The Panda Invasion, AUDIO: Iris Wildthyme and the Claws of Santa)
- Grigoriy Bugayev reappears (chronologically for the first time) in the Lethbridge-Stewart novel, Blood of Atlantis, set in November 1969. At that point he was a Captain, and was promoted (at novel's end) to Major.
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Emotional Chemistry at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Emotional Chemistry