Emperor of the Daleks! (comic story)
|Emperor of the Daleks!|
|Featuring:||Abslom Daak, Harma, Salander, Sixth Doctor, Peri|
|Main enemy:||Davros, Imperial and Renegade Daleks|
|Publisher:||Marvel Comics UK|
|Colourist:||Marina Graham (part 4 only)|
|Printed in:||Doctor Who Magazine 197-202|
|Release date:||17 March - 4 August 1993|
|Format:||Comic - 6 parts (49 pages)|
|DWM comic stories|
|DWM's "New Adventures order"|
|Flashback||The Highest Science|
Emperor of the Daleks! was a 1993 multi-Doctor comic story in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine. Its publication ran across the landmark 200th issue of DWM and part which appeared in that issue was originally printed in full colour, a highly unusual occurrence in the magazine at that time.
Narratively, the story was remarkable for the fact that it brought together the Sixth and Seventh Doctors, Davros, Abslom Daak and Bernice Summerfield. It was also continuity-heavy. It demanded the reader have a fair grasp of Daak's backstory, which had been printed in the magazine ten years earlier. More significantly, though, the story acted as a prequel to Remembrance of the Daleks, giving the reader a Davros story set between Revelation and Remembrance.
In short, the story was aptly titled because it explained how Davros became the Dalek Emperor.
to be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Sixth Doctor
- Abslom Daak
- Emperor Dalek
- Imperial and Renegade Daleks
- The Doctor uses Dalekanium wire to diffuse Dalek weaponry. According to the Doctor, it is "terribly expensive stuff."
- The Daleks mention events that took place on planet Hell involving Abslom Daak, including his apparent death.
- The Sixth Doctor, on meeting the Seventh Doctor, says, "I hope you appreciated that mattress in Perivale."
- There's an Alpha Centauran bar attendant at the bar the Doctor(s), Benny and Ablsom Daak go to.
- Benny quotes from Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch when she pulls a gun on the seemingly unhinged Abslom Daak and says, "Listen, you. This girlfriend is dead. She has ceased to be."
- The Psyche Dalek makes a brief appearance.
- The story picks up plot threads from TV: Planet of the Daleks, TV: Revelation of the Daleks and COMIC: Nemesis of the Daleks, and, thanks to time travel, also acts as a prequel to TV: Remembrance of the Daleks (from Davros' point of view). The Doctor drops hints about the Hand of Omega, Davros gains an army of Daleks and ends up in a different casing all setting up for TV: Remembrance of the Daleks (which incidentally is in the past for the Seventh Doctor).
- The Sixth Doctor mentions a "mattress in Perivale" to the Seventh Doctor. This is a reference to TV: Survival . However, in that particular story, the Doctor landed on an abandoned sofa, not a mattress, so presumably the Sixth Doctor is misremembering slightly. (On the other hand, writer Paul Cornell could have slipped up.)
- Benny claims to have done a thesis on Ice Warrior humour, and treats Harma to a bad joke in the language of the Ice Warrors. This is consistent with several other stories, like PROSE: Legacy, where she's an expert in Ice Warrior culture.
- Emperor of the Daleks at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer - Synopses of all the Abslom Daak comics
- NZDWFC - Guide to the Abslom Daak comics with synopses