a real world point of view
|Emperor of the Daleks!|
The Imperial Daleks
The Renegade Daleks
|Main setting:||Skaro, the future|
Spiridon, after 2540
|Publisher:||Marvel Comics UK|
|Colourist:||Marina Graham (part 4 only)|
|Printed in:||Doctor Who Magazine 197-202|
|Release date:||17 March - 4 August 1993|
|Format:||Comic - 6 parts (49 pages)|
|DWM comic stories|
Emperor of the Daleks! was a 1993 multi-Doctor comic story in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine. It was a doubly "special" story, celebrating both the thirtieth anniversary of Doctor Who and the two-hundredth issue of DWM. The part which appeared in DWM 200 was originally printed in full colour, a highly unusual occurrence in the magazine at that time.
Narratively, the story was remarkable for the fact that it brought together the Sixth and Seventh Doctors, Davros, Abslom Daak and Bernice Summerfield. It was also continuity-heavy. It demanded the reader have a fair grasp of Daak's backstory, which had been printed in the magazine ten years earlier. More significantly, though, the story acted as a prequel to Remembrance of the Daleks, giving the reader a Davros story set between Revelation and Remembrance.
In short, the story was aptly titled because it explained how Davros became the Dalek Emperor.
Part One Edit
Part Two - Six Edit
- The Doctor uses Dalekanium wire to diffuse Dalek weaponry. According to the Doctor, it is "terribly expensive stuff".
- The Daleks mention events that took place on planet Hell involving Abslom Daak, including his apparent death.
- The Sixth Doctor, on meeting the Seventh Doctor, says, "I hope you appreciated that mattress in Perivale".
- There's an Alpha Centauran bar attendant at the bar the Doctor(s), Benny and Ablsom Daak go to.
- The Psyche Dalek makes a brief appearance.
- The story picks up plot threads from TV: Planet of the Daleks, TV: Revelation of the Daleks and COMIC: Nemesis of the Daleks, and, thanks to time travel, also acts as a prequel to TV: Remembrance of the Daleks (from Davros' point of view). The Doctor drops hints about the Hand of Omega, Davros gains an army of Daleks and ends up in a different casing all setting up for TV: Remembrance of the Daleks (which incidentally is in the past for the Seventh Doctor).
- The Sixth Doctor mentions a "mattress" to the Seventh Doctor. This is a reference to TV: Survival.
- Emperor of the Daleks at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer - Synopses of all the Abslom Daak comics
- NZDWFC - Guide to the Abslom Daak comics with synopses