|Empress of the Racnoss|
|First seen in:||The Runaway Bride|
|Appearances:||TV: Turn Left, The End of Time, The Eleventh Hour|
|Main actor:||Sarah Parish|
|Another memorable moment|
The Empress of the Racnoss was the leader of the Racnoss Empire.
When the Racnoss Empire was destroyed by the Gallifreyans, the last remaining Racnoss hid themselves by forming the core of what would become the planet Earth. The Empress was the only Racnoss to survive and not hibernate in the Earth's centre. Instead, she orbited the Earth for billions of years in her ship, the Webstar, until the Torchwood Institute developed Huon particles, with which she could revive her race.
The Empress met the Tenth Doctor on Christmas Day 2007, in a secret location under the Thames Flood Barrier. She was trying to awaken her long-dead race, whom she called her children, with the Huon energy implanted into the body of Donna Noble by her fiancé, Lance Bennett. Lance was originally affiliated with the Empress; however, when Donna escaped with the Doctor in the TARDIS, the Empress decided to use him instead. She force-fed him Huon particles and dropped him into the centre of the Earth, where the Racnoss spaceship was. There, the Huon particles awoke the Racnoss, who feasted on Lance.
Her plans to revive the Racnoss were foiled by the Doctor. When she ordered the Robot Santas to kill him, he used stolen controls to order them to "relax". He set bombs, disguised as baubles from a robotic Christmas tree, flying around the secret room. The bombs detonated, crashing into pipes, letting the Thames flood into the room. The Empress was surrounded with fire, and the awakening Racnoss were drowned with the Thames water.
The Empress transmatted to her Webstar and vowed revenge on the Doctor and all of planet Earth by scorching it. However, the lack of Huon energy left the Webstar defenceless, and the British Army destroyed it along with the Empress. The order to destroy the Webstar came from Harold Saxon himself. (TV: The Runaway Bride)
Alternate timeline Edit
In an alternate timeline, while the Doctor still defeated the Empress, he died doing so, leading to a chain of events that drastically altered Earth history. The Doctor's former companion, Rose Tyler, along with the alternate timeline version of Donna, eventually restored the original timeline. (TV: Turn Left)
Other references Edit
- Donna Noble would later tell Agatha Christie that her fiancé had run off with a "giant spider" in an attempt to comfort Christie when her husband had cheated on her. (TV: The Unicorn and the Wasp)
- When Donna Noble was looking for Darac-7's ship, the glamour created an image of the Empress of the Racnoss to scare her away. (PROSE: Ghosts of India)
- The Empress of the Racnoss was one of the many aliens to appear in a flashback when Donna began remembering the Tenth Doctor on Christmas 2009. (TV: The End of Time)
- When the Tenth Doctor was having a nightmare of his enemies, one was the Empress of the Racnoss. (COMIC: To Sleep, Perchance to Scream)
- The Empress was one of the eleven creatures who appeared in the hologram projection shown by the Atraxi as they were scanning Earth's history to check if it was protected. (TV: The Eleventh Hour)