|Main setting:||London, 1935; Straggly Witch, Scotland, 1935|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions, AudioGO|
|Read by:||India Fisher, Michael Maloney|
|Release date:||1 August 2013|
|Destiny of the Doctor|
|Shockwave||Night of the Whisper|
Publisher's summary Edit
1935: a message from a Time Lord in trouble sends the Eighth Doctor and Charlotte "Charley" Pollard to the streets of London's West End, in search of a mysterious alien adversary — unaware that something monstrous is already on their trail.
They soon discover that an insidious conspiracy is indeed at work, its tentacles extending the length of the British Isles. Proving its existence won't be easy, however, after a confrontation in a music hall ends up with the Doctor under arrest and Charley on the run, suspected of murder. All their hopes rest in a musical clue and a man named Hilary — neither of which are much consolation, with the two time travellers the object of a nationwide manhunt.
And all the while, the enemy aliens are drawing closer and closer still...
to be added
- Charley is dressed in a Russian military uniform.
- The Doctor and Charley had tea with Vita Sackville-West in London in 1935.
- Charley is aware of regeneration.
- The Doctor receives a message from his eleventh incarnation over the TARDIS Internal Communication System, telling him that "William Tell is the key to it all."
- Charley hums Gioachino Rossini's William Tell Overture.
- The music hall performer William Tell is advertised as being "Europe's most famous memory man."
- One of the people in the theatre asks Tell about Mae West's "vital statistics."
- The Doctor refers to Wikipedia. Given that she is from 1930, Charley has never heard of it.
- Hilary Hammond warns Charley that a war is coming.
- This audio was recorded on 23 April 2013.
- Charley refers to the "bats" in the TARDIS. (TV: Doctor Who)
- The Doctor tells Charley that he has met William Tell. After successfully using a Sevateem crossbow to sever a length of rope on Leela's unnamed planet, the Fourth Doctor credited Tell for his skill and added that he was a "charming man." (TV: The Face of Evil) The Seventh Doctor once told his companion Ace that he had met Tell, though she believed that he may have been joking. (AUDIO: The Settling)
- The Doctor has a penchant for kissing his companions on the lips when excited. Shortly after his seventh regeneration, he kissed Grace Holloway in San Francisco on 30 December 1999. (TV: Doctor Who) The Eleventh Doctor later did the same to Rory Williams and Jenny Flint. (TV: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, The Crimson Horror)
- Charley tells Hilary Hammond that she previously posed as a boy, Simon Murchford, aboard the British airship R101 in October 1930. She also notes that, according to the Web of Time, she should have died when it crashed in northern France. (AUDIO: Storm Warning)
- The Eleventh Doctor refers to the fact he has sent messages to several of his other incarnations. (AUDIO: The Time Machine)