Enlightenment was a novelisation based on the 1983 television serial Enlightenment.
This was the last Doctor Who novelisation to include an image of the Doctor on the cover until the novelisation of The Savages was published in 1986. It was also the last time the image of the current Doctor (as of the time of publication) appeared on the cover until 1988's Paradise Towers.
Publisher's summary Edit
The crew will be lucky to reach port safely-but with such a prize would they be lucky to win?
Book Chapters Edit
- Winner Takes All
- The Race
- Here She Blows!
- Marker Buoy
- One Down!
- The Officers
- Man Overboard!
- The Buccaneer
- The Grid Room
- Focus Point
- The Prize
Deviations from televised story Edit
- In the chess game at the beginning, Turlough plays black; whereas he played as white in the episode.
- Upon reading a "First British Submarine Launched" headline in a newspaper, the Doctor concludes that the year is 1901.
- The power chamber on Wrack's ship is floored with a grid, rather than simply having a hole in the centre of the floor.
- Wrack uses several different kinds of crystal in the book, not just red opals.
- The Eternals are expanded in greater detail.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- Writer Barbara Clegg expanded on her television script when writing the novelisation.
- Dedication: For Adam, Rufus and Jemima, my most constructive critics
- Clegg is the first woman to publish an officially-sanctioned Doctor Who novel of any type.
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK