a real world point of view
|Companion(s):||Amy Pond and Rory Williams|
|Main enemy:||Professor Saurian|
|Main setting:||Earth 2011|
|Printed in:||Doctor Who Adventures |
|Release date:||5 May 2011|
|Format:||Comic - 1 parts (4 pages)|
|DWA comic stories|
|The Peace Strike||Hot Stuff!|
The Doctor, Amy Pond and Rory Williams arrive not in Hawaii, but in 2011, to find themselves being chased by a Tyrannosaurus Rex with a plane flying overhead! Taking shelter in a cave, they find a hidden door at the back. Through the door they find a secret base built into the base of a volcano.
Rory is separated from the others and watches as two Raptors escort them to a science lab, where they find a reptilian scientist at work. The creature introduces himself as Professor Saurian. He is from a planet like Earth, where evolution took a different path. As the Doctor keeps Saurian talking, he explains how his world is approaching an Ice Age which will kill his people, while this Earth is getting warmer. Saurian believes the Earth is ready to be taken but the Doctor has other ideas! Unaware that Rory has been listening, he has found the thermostat controls and turned the temperature down, making the raptors and Saurian sluggish.
As they try to escape, Saurian sets an explosion. It's only thirty seconds before the explosion in all Earths volcanoes at once! Saurian escapes to his spaceship. The Doctor quickly goes to work and with his sonic screwdriver contains the explosion to just one nearby volcano. Praying that the Tyrannosaurus has left and isn’t waiting for them, the Doctor, Amy and Rory get back to the TARDIS in time to watch the volcano erupt and wonder if Saurian escaped and if he did, when they will see him again!
- Professor Saurian’s base is compared to one in a James Bond film.
- Surprisingly no reference is made to Silurians.
Original print details Edit
- Publication with page count and closing captions
- DWA 216 (4 pages) NEXT WEEK –THE DOCTOR, AMY AND RORY FACE TERRIFYING DANGER ON MERCURY!
- No reprints to date.
- This is the first appearance of Professor Saurian, a recurring adversary in the Eleventh Doctor comic strips.
- While the Sea Devils and Silurians are reptiles from Earth (and beneath it), Professor Saurian's race of dinosaur-kind come from another planet similar to Earth.
- There is no mention of the Silurians from Amy or Rory. In fact Amy seems surprised to find a dino-man. This suggests that these DWA adventures occur very shortly after Rory joined the TARDIS.
to be added