|Eye of Heaven|
|Main enemy:||Jennifer Richards|
|Main setting:||Easter Island, 1842|
Easter Island, 1872
Easter Island, 1902
|Release date:||2 February 1998|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 277 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|The Face of the Enemy||The Witch Hunters|
Publisher's summary Edit
Easter Island, 1842. Horace Stockwood, eminent archaeologist, has stolen a stone tablet sacred to the islanders. He escapes into the open sea, but massive, sinister stone figures are lining the cliff tops, watching him go...
Thirty years later, Stockwood is desperate to return. He has devoted his life to studying the sacred stone, and needs to know if his theories are correct. Visiting Earth with Leela, the Doctor's interest is piqued, and he offers to fund Stockwood's expedition. But their journey proves more hazardous than anyone would have expected.
What is the terrible secret that pushes Stockwood on — and what is his real agenda? Who is trying to stop their mission before it has even begun? As the Doctor begins to piece the answers together, it seems he may become an accomplice to the terrible tragedy that threatens to befall the island. Ancient powers are invoked, and dangerous secrets may soon be secret no longer...
to be added
- Fourth Doctor
- Horace Stockwood
- Alexander Richards
- Jennifer Richards
- Dr James Royston
- Captain Stuart
- Jack Devitt
to be added
- This novel features a non-linear story structure;
- The main linear story is told in the Prologue, then Chapters 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 telling the story of the events in London, leading up to the launching of the Tweed and its possession by Jennifer Richards.
- Chapters 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 tell the story of the journey from England to Rapa Nui.
- In Part Two, Chapters 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28 tell the story of the attack by the Peruvian slavers.
- Chapters 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 and then the epilogue tell the story of the discovery of the dead world on the other side of the wormhole and the effects that Stockwood's original journey had on the alien civilisation.
- Chapter 15 is the misleading one here: Leela's dream of the vortex is not related to the tornado we just saw in Chapter 13, but is rather the effect of travelling through the wormhole at the end of Chapter 27.
- The Doctor mentions that the last time that he saw Horatio Nelson was in 1805 prior to the Battle of Trafalgar. (PROSE: World Game)
- The Doctor recovers from being shot by remembering the events with Master Padmasambhava and the holy ghanta. (TV: The Abominable Snowmen)
- Leela mentions having encountered a horse recently, but isn't sure since she was fighting for her life at that point. (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- The Doctor makes a reference to Ogri, saying the Ogri insinuate themselves into primitive cultures, quite often masquerading as sacrificial stones. (TV: The Stones of Blood)
- Eye of Heaven at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Eye of Heaven at The Whoniverse
- Doctor Who Bewildering Reference Guide to Eye of Heaven