a real world point of view
|Falls the Shadow|
|Main enemy:||Gabriel and Tanith|
|Main setting:||Earth, Scotland, Shadowfell, 1994|
|Release date:||November 1994|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 356 Pages|
|Virgin New Adventures|
|St Anthony's Fire||Parasite|
Falls the Shadow was the thirty-second New Adventures novel featuring the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice Summerfield. It was author Daniel O'Mahony's only contribution to the Virgin New Adventures range. However he has been a consistent contributor to Faction Paradox, Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield series and several other novel and audio ranges.
Publisher's summary Edit
"We are deranged. We are psychopaths, sociopaths, up the garden path," said Tanith. "We are mad, and you are trapped with us."
A stranger dressed in grey watches from a hillside, searching for the sinister powers growing within the house. A killer appears from the surrounding forest, determined to carry out her deadly instructions. In the cellar, something lingers, observing and influencing events, waiting to take on flesh and emerge. And trapped in alien darkness, the last survivor of a doomed race mourns for the lost planet Earth.
to be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- Gabriel & Tanith
- Charles Moore Wedderburn
- Grey Man
- Harry Truman
- Jane Page
- Jeremy Winterdawn
- Justin Cranleigh
- Sandra Winterdawn
- Bernice loses two pints of blood when she's attacked by vampire orchids.
The Doctor Edit
- Theta Sigma is not the Doctor's name, but identifies him uniquely amongst the Time Lords.
- The Doctor mentions the Eye of Harmony and the Daleks.
- Time Lords call true madness 'The Dark Design'.
- The TARDIS exists outside of time and space and so Gabriel and Tanith cannot enter it.
- The first humanoids evolved on a world 30 billion light-years from Earth.
- Cathedral is a metacultural engine programmed to, essentially, introduce "greyness" into places where the duality of black and white persist. It is ruled by the Mandelbrot Set after being created by the Grey Man.
- A prologue to this novel was published in DWM 218.
- The title is a reference to "The Hollow Men", a poem by T.S. Eliot.
- The Doctor has met the Irish playwright and author Oscar Wilde. (AUDIO: Beautiful Things)
- The Doctor mentions the Eye of Harmony. (TV: The Deadly Assassin, TV: Doctor Who (1996))
- Ace recalls her encounter with Melanie Bush. (TV: Dragonfire)
- C. Moore Wedderburn is the author of The Trail of the Black Orchid: A botanical and zoological guide to the journeys of George Cranleigh. (TV: Black Orchid)
- Just as Fenric could pull Ingiger from an alternate Earth, Gabriel and Tanith pull Qxeleq and Jane Page from alternate Earths to Shadowfell.
- Detailed synopsis of Falls the Shadow at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Falls the Shadow at The Whoniverse
- Prelude to Falls the Shadow as published in DWM #218